Crime Prevention Tip
If you discover a fire in a building on campus:
- Alert the occupants and evacuate the building.
- Call UMKC Police Emergency at 9-1-1 OR 235-1515 . They will notify the fire department and guide them quickly to the fire's location.
- If a fire is small (waste-basket size) and can be safely extinguished, use an extinguisher to do so after activating the fire alarm and notifying UMKC Police.
- During evacuation, walk, do not run. Keep noise to a minimum. Close, but do not lock doors to help contain fire and smoke. Do not use elevators. On stairways, use handrails and stay to the right. Following evacuation, relocate to a safe assembly area and do not re-enter the building until notified that it is safe to do so.
- If you suspect fire in the building, test doors before you open them. Use the back of your hand to feel the door or doorknob. If either is hot, use another escape route.
- If you hear a fire alarm, call Public Safety to report the alarm, evacuate, and do not re-enter the building until told it is safe to do so.
- Be prepared. Know the location of the two exits closest to your area and all potential evacuation routes out of the building. Know the location of the nearest fire alarm and how to use it. Keep all corridors free of flammable materials to prevent rapid fire spread. Never prop open a hallway door, or lock a door that is a fire exit. If you become aware of fire safety equipment that has been vandalized or tampered with, report it to UMKC Police.
- False alarms cause major problems and risk the safety of building occupants. If you become aware of someone starting a fire or taking part in a false alarm, please notify UMKC Police immediately.
|UMKC Police Department |
|(816) 235-1515 |
|Crime Prevention Unit |
Officer Patrick Tedesco
|Campus Fire Marshall|
on a |