University Assessment Committee
As outlined in the University Assessment Handbook, the University Assessment Committee (UAC) is charged with encouraging, supporting and guiding the growth of effective student learning outcomes assessment practices at UMKC. The Committee will also be responsible for guiding the development and integration of student learning outcomes assessment into a university–wide assessment and evaluation system that is effectively linked with planning and budgeting processes.
The Committee will review program level assessment plans for all academic programs and provide recommendations for plan improvements to department chairs, program directors, and departmental assessment coordinators. The Committee will also assist in developing, monitoring, and revising the university plan for assessing the general education learning outcomes.
Purpose: The University Assessment Committee (UAC) encourages, supports and guides the growth of effective student learning outcomes assessment practices at UMKC.
Established: 2006; reviewed and revised 2015
Time frame for group (or ongoing): ongoing (standing committee)
Membership criteria: Members are faculty, staff, and students appointed by the Provost
Number of members: 22
Membership type: Each Academic Unit and the University Library have one faculty representative; the College of Arts and Sciences has three representatives, one each from the three major divisions of Humanities, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences. The Divisions of Academic Affairs and Student Affairs each have one representative. Additional faculty members are the FaCET Faculty Fellow for Assessment and the General Education Coordinator.
Membership consists of:
- Academic Affairs representative (Director of Assessment)
- Student Affairs representative
- General Education Coordinator
- FaCET Faculty Fellow for Assessment
- Bloch School of Management
- College of Arts & Sciences - Humanities
- College of Arts & Sciences - Natural Sciences
- College of Arts & Sciences - Social Sciences
- Conservatory of Music and Dance
- Honors College
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Computing and Engineering
- School of Dentistry
- School of Education
- School of Graduate Studies
- School of Law
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing and Health Sciences
- School of Pharmacy
- University Libraries
- Graduate student (plus one named alternative)
- Undergraduate Student (plus one named alternative)
Membership selection: Faculty representatives of academic units are selected by the Provost from faculty nominated by the Academic Unit Dean. The Student Affairs representative is selected by the Provost from Student Affairs staff nominated by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management. The Provost selects the student representatives from students nominated by the student government associations. The Provost selects the representative from Academic Affairs.
Leadership selection: The Academic Affairs representative is a permanent co-chair. A co-chair will be elected bi-annually in Spring of odd years for the following two academic years by UAC members from among faculty representatives that have served at least one year on the Committee.
Role of the co-chairs: Convene and facilitate meetings of the committee. Chairs will also ensure that nominations for new members are forwarded to the Provost on an annual basis in May.
Responsibilities of the members: Members will participate in committee meetings and perform work outlined in the Charge and Responsibilities sections of this document. Members may perform this work in subcommittees or other ad hoc groupings between meetings as determined by the committee membership.
Ex-officio members (speaking role only):
- Director of Institutional Research
- Discourse Coordinator
- FaCET Director
- VP for Online Learning
- Writing Assessment Coordinator
- Graduate Assistant for Assessment
Term of appointment: All Academic Unit and Library faculty representatives and the Student Affairs representative will serve 3-year terms and may be re-appointed. In the event that a member leaves the committee prior to the end of the 3-year term of appointment, the dean or Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management will recommend a replacement for approval by the Provost for the remainder of the term. In the event that a faculty representative assumes a position that holds membership on the committee, such as the FaCET Faculty Fellow or the General Education Coordinator, that individual will cease to serve as a unit representative and the dean will recommended a replacement for approval by the Provost to fill the remainder of the term. Student representatives will serve 1-year terms.
Charge to the members: The Committee is charged with encouraging, supporting and guiding the growth of effective student learning outcomes assessment practices at UMKC. The Committee will also be responsible for guiding the development and integration of student learning outcomes assessment into a university-wide assessment and evaluation system that is effectively linked with planning and budgeting processes. The Committee will review program level assessment plans for all academic programs and provide recommendations for plan improvements to department chairs and program directors. The Committee will be responsible for working the General Education Coordinator and the General Education Curriculum Committee to develop, monitor, and revise the university plan for assessment of the General Education Program. The Committee will be responsible for working with the Institutional Research staff to review and disseminate results of institutional assessments.
The Committee's responsibilities include:
- monitor and evaluate implementation of the University Assessment Plan;
- develop or adopt research-based and/or best practice guidelines that promote effective integration of learning outcomes assessment practices at course, program, and campus levels and that help achieve the Universityâ€™s mission and strategic goals;
- review program assessment plans and annual reports to ensure that they meet the University's guidelines;
- facilitate sharing effective assessment practices within and between program, department, and unit level organizations;
- make recommendations to the Provost concerning student learning outcomes assessment policy and effective integration/linkage of learning outcomes assessment with strategic planning, budgeting, and resource allocation;
- work with the program review process to integrate learning outcomes assessment with academic program review;
- oversee the assessment management system for UMKC that archives and tracks program-level learning outcomes assessment activities and the use of results for program improvement purposes; and
- track and disseminate results of institutional assessments, such as the National Survey of Student Engagement, the universityâ€™s senior exit survey, the ETS Proficiency Profile, and the RooWriter for use in university strategic planning and to inform program improvements to enhance student learning.
Documents/Outcomes: University Assessment Plan and Timeline, Assessment Handbook, General Education Assessment Handbook, Assessment Information Management System (Weave assessment document repository)
Stakeholders: Faculty, staff, students of UMKC; UM Board of Curators, UM System administration and sister campuses; Coordinating Board for Higher Education and citizens of Missouri; residents of the Kansas City Metropolitan region
Frequency of meetings: Monthly during the academic year
Reporting: Reports to the Provost
Renewal date: ongoing
|Cain, Ruth||Co-Chair/Academic Affairs Representative|
|Bethman, Brenda||Student Affairs Representative|
|Waddell, Jennifer||General Education Coordinator|
|Horsmon, Caitlin||FaCET Faculty Fellow for Assessment|
|Cornell, David||Bloch School of Management|
|Vacant||College of Arts & Sciences-Humanities|
|Zhu, Da-Ming||College of Arts & Sciences-Natural Sciences|
|Vonnahme, Greg||College of Arts & Sciences-Social Sciences|
|Madison-Cannon, Sabrina||Conservatory of Music and Dance|
|Plamann, Lynda||School of Biological Sciences|
|Mitchell, Ken||School of Computing and Engineering|
|Van Ness, Christopher||School of Dentistry|
|Berkel, LaVerne||School of Education|
|Friend, Jennifer||School of Graduate Studies|
|Temm, Wanda||School of Law|
|Quaintance, Jennifer||School of Medicine|
|Lee, Kristin||School of Nursing and Health Sciences|
|Graham, Maqual||School of Pharmacy|
|Mullally-Quijas, Margaret||University Libraries|
|Bunce, Larry||Ex-Officio/Director of Institutional Research|
|Dickerson, Rhiannon||Ex-Officio/Discourse Coordinator|
|Ward-Smith, Peggy||Ex-Officio/FaCET Director|
|Cancilla, Devon||Ex-Officio/VP for Online Learning|
|Doss, Crystal||Ex-Officio/Writing Assessment Coordinator|
|Stroud, Dan||Ex-Officio/Graduate Assistant for Assessment|