Waive my health insurance
Health insurance is mandatory for all enrolled F-1, F-2 and J-1 visas.
If you are a student or scholar on a F-1 or J-1 visa attending UMKC, you are REQUIRED to purchase UMKC health insurance as a part of the enrollment and registration process each term. You will be billed automatically upon registering for classes.
The university’s insurance plan covers or exceeds all typical insurance options outlined by the U.S. government as requirements for foreign students and scholars. Failure to purchase and maintain health insurance may result in the termination of your immigration status.
Non-immigrant international students on F-1 and J-1 visas will be automatically enrolled unless waiver requirements are met.
Under certain exceptional circumstances students may request a waiver of the mandatory requirements. Waivers are rarely given. Policies purchased abroad do not typically meet the UMKC mandatory requirements.
Waiver applications and proof of other coverage must be submitted to the International Student Affairs Office within 10 days of the first day of class each semester.
If waiver information is not received or not approved by the indicated deadline, the student will remain enrolled in the International Student/Scholar Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan.
- I am attending UMKC as an exchange student on a J-1 student visa and insurance is provided by the sponsoring organization that issued my visa.
- I am attending UMKC as an Embassy of the State of Kuwait or Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission sponsored student.
- I am attending UMKC as a government sponsored student (not including Embassy of Kuwait or Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission).
- I have received a change of immigration status with approval from the Department of Justice.
- I have dependent coverage through a U. S. citizen or permanent resident.
- I have coverage through other authorized work in the U. S. (e.g., economic hardship work authorization, H1-B visa).
- I have a certifiable pre-existing medical condition that requires extraordinary medical needs. Students who fall into this category must provide proof of pre-existing condition form their health care professional in their home country.
- I no longer have an active SEVIS record and will not be present in the U.S. on an F-1/J-1 visa, but am enrolled in UMKC courses.
- I am transferring out of UMKC and will no longer be enrolled in a UMKC course.
- I am on post completion OPT but am enrolled in a UMKC course.
- I am requesting the Exemption for an enrolled F-2 dependent because I currently pay for Student Health Insurance which includes the optional coverage for the enrolled dependent.