M.A./Ph.D. Counseling Practicum
The master's internship and advanced practicum are both approximately 20 hours per week for two consecutive semesters. Time off will be permitted for University scheduled holidays and professional development. The practicum experience enables the intern/student to meet the requirements for master’s internship or practicum as outlined by the Counseling Psychology and/or Clinical Psychology Department. A site supervisor evaluates the intern/student's work, and information collected is shared with the Training Director of the student's home academic program each semester. At the end of the training experience, trainees receive a certificate of completion.
Note: For students considering summer placement, the hour commitments are less, and more flexible during the summer semester.
The Center reserves the right to terminate any practicum/master's degree-seeking student who receives unsatisfactory evaluations or who behave unethically or illegally. The Center will determine the number of practicum/master's degree-seeking positions available each semester.
To receive placement in the master’s internship program or advanced practicum, student must:
- Have clearance from their department;
- Complete an application form including a resume and two letters of reference (e-mailed letters are accepted) from individuals who have advised or directly supervised the student’s clinical work; and
- Interview with the training director and other Center staff members.
Applicants will be provided with:
- A copy of hours and work expectations for master’s internship or advanced practicum; and
- Any information requested about the Counseling Center.
- The availability of practicum/master's degree-seeking intern positions will be sent to the UMKC Counseling Psychology and Clinical Psychology departments.
- Individuals may inquire about the practicum/internship experiences at any time.
- Late applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis depending on available positions.
- The training director and staff will select practicum students/M.A. interns on an ongoing basis, but no later than within two weeks after the last completed interview deadline.
- All applicants will be informed of their selection or non-selection.
- The selected applicant(s) will need to provide proof of satisfactory completion of pending practicum experiences.