- Faculty members are actively involved in regional, national and international research projects from ozone and asthma studies in Kansas City to environmental remote sensing in Nigeria, and wetland issues in Germany, Poland and the Netherlands.
- Faculty research findings have been featured in National Geographic, Time Magazine, Nature, Science and Wetlands.
- Faculty members have received funding of more than $1 million in competitive grants from the National Science Foundation, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, American Chemical Society, Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Geological Survey and the Kauffman Foundation.
- The department boasts a diverse faculty, conversant in a total of 10 languages. Forty percent are non-white, coming from China, India, Korea and Nigeria. Women comprise 20 percent of faculty.
The Environmental Studies Student Association (ESSA) offers students opportunities to:
- Meet with visiting environmental scientists
- Attend special interest forums and lectures
- Participate in environmental field trips
- Attend student-driven organizational activities
- Participate in city government
- Acquire a local or regional internship
- Attend national meetings and conferences
Explore career options for Environmental Studies majors at careeronestop.org.
Office of Admissions
120 Administrative Center
5115 Oak St.
Kansas City, MO 64112
Relay Missouri: 1-800-735-2966 (TTY)
Students are encouraged to schedule a campus visit by visiting umkc.edu/welcome or calling 816-235-8652.
UMKC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution.