Cashiers and Collections

Discounts and assistance

Metro Rate, click here.

Metro Rate

Undergraduate or graduate, non-professional students who are legal residents of Johnson, Leavenworth, Miami, Wyandotte, Atchison, Douglas, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Osage, or Shawnee counties in Kansas will be assessed educational fees equivalent to those of a Missouri resident (the "in-state" rate).

Contact the Admissions Office for more information:

Phone: 816-235-1111


Web site:

Midwest Exchange program, click here.

Midwest Exchange

MHEC helps improve access to postsecondary education through the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP). Since 1994, the MSEP has provided more affordable opportunities for students to attend out-of-state institutions. The MSEP serves as the Midwest's largest multi-state tuition reciprocity program. MSEP is not a scholarship.

Web site:

Part-time non-resident waiver, click here.

Part-time non-resident waiver

Non-resident students who take a part-time credit load of six hours or less during a 16-week term, or three hours or less during an eight-week term, may be eligible to receive a tuition waiver to offset the non-resident portion of their educational fees. This tuition waiver is not available to non-resident students taking more than six hours during a 16-week term or more than three hours during an eight-week term. Total hours are determined by term, not by individual session. Dropping classes from full-time to six or fewer hours during a 16-week term, or three or fewer hours during an eight-week term, does not make the student eligible for the part-time non-resident waiver.

If a student who has been credited with this waiver makes a total withdrawal from the University, that student is no longer eligible for any part-time non-resident waiver amount.

International students on a F1 or J1 Visa are not eligible to receive the Part-time non-resident waiver. F2 or J2 Visa holders, whose I-20 or DS-2019 is issued by UMKC, are also excluded from eligibility for the Part-time non-resident waiver.

Student must comply with the requirement of House Bill 390 by submitting appropriate documentation of proof of lawful presence to the Registration Office. 

Missouri Tax Payer Credit program, click here.

Missouri Tax Payer Credit program

The program, a taxpayer credit, is a procedure used to give dollar for dollar credit to non-resident students who pay Missouri state income tax. The credit is used to offset the non-resident fee charged to the student account.


The student must be a non-resident of the state of Missouri and must pay Missouri state income tax. If the student is a dependent on another person's tax return, that person must live outside the state of Missouri and must pay Missouri state income tax.

To claim the credit, students must:

  1. Complete the application for Missouri Non-Resident Taxpayer Credit;
  2. Obtain a copy of his or her Missouri State Income Tax Return (MO-1040 or MO-1040A), including the Non-resident Income Schedule (NRI);
  3. File a copy of a Federal 1040 or 1040A form if they were claimed as a dependant on another person's tax return; it is required in addition to that person's Missouri State Income Tax Return (MO-1040 or MO-1040A) and Non-resident Income Schedule (NRI);
  4. Submit W2's, 1099's, or schedules that show sources of Missouri income for the same year as the tax return; and
  5. Submit a copy of the front and back of the cancelled check or a copy of the credit card statement if payment was made to the Missouri Department of Revenue when filing Missouri state income taxes.
  6. Comply with the requirement of House Bill 390 by submitting appropriate documentation of proof of lawful presence to the Registration Office. 

Copies of the above documentation (excluding proof of legal presence) must be submitted with the application. This information will not be returned. It is the student's responsibility to obtain copies of the appropriate documentation. The Cashier's Office does not provide copy service.

Resubmitting documentation

The student must re-apply for the Non-Resident Taxpayer Credit each year. Taxes from the previous tax year are used to calculate the credit amount for the current academic year. For example; 2008 tax information would be used for Summer Semester 2009, Fall Semester 2009, and Spring Semester 2010. Tax credit not used during the academic year (Summer semester through Spring semester) cannot be carried forward to the next academic year.

Dropping a class(es) or non-resident fees reductions

The tax-offset credit can only be used to reduce the non-resident fees. If the non-resident fees are reduced, the amount of the tax-offset credit will also be reduced if the offset credit is more than the actual non-resident fees charged.

To learn more about the Non-Resident Missouri Tax Credit, contact the Cashier's Office at 816-235-1365.

Educational assistance for university employees, click here.

Educational assistance for university employees

Seventy-five percent of the education fee is waived for eligible employees registering in University of Missouri college level credit courses.

Information about eligibility:

UM Web site:

Educational Assistance Form: Click here

Fee reduction for spouse/dependents of university employees, click here.

Educational assistance for spouse/dependents of university employees

Fifty percent reduction of educational fees is available to an eligible spouse or eligible dependent child of an eligible employee for up to 140 hours of University of Missouri college credit courses per spouse or dependent child. The rate for all courses (undergraduate, graduate or professional) will be based on the educational fee charged to a resident student for undergraduate courses. The reduction will not exceed 50 percent per student.

Information about eligibility:

UM Web site:

Educational Assistance Form: Click here


Office of Admissions

Financial Aid

Human Resources

Midwest Exchange

Internal Revenue Service

Contact information

Phone: 816-235-1365
Fax: 816-235-5510

Physical location

Administrative Center
5115 Oak St.
Room 112
Kansas City, MO 64112