Crime Prevention Tip
- Try to avoid using an ATM by yourself. Either take someone with you or only use an ATM when others are around.
- If possible, avoid using an ATM after dark. If you must, choose one that is well lighted and does not have tall bushes nearby.
- When you arrive at an ATM, look around. If you see anything that makes you uncomfortable or anyone who looks suspicious, do not stop. Either use an ATM at a different location or come back later. Notify the authorities.
- Have your access card and any other documents you need ready when you approach an ATM. While you are fumbling with a wallet or purse, you are easy game for a thief.
- If someone else is using the ATM when you arrive, avoid standing right behind them. Give them enough space to conduct their transaction in privacy.
- Even while using the ATM, stay alert to your surroundings. Look up and around every few seconds while transacting your business.
- Protect your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Do not enter your PIN if anyone else can see the screen. Shield your PIN from onlookers by using your body.
- When your transaction is finished, be sure you have your card and your receipt, then leave immediately. Avoid counting or otherwise displaying large amounts of cash.
- As you leave, keep a look out. Be alert for anything or anyone who appears suspicious. If you think you are being followed, go to an area with a lot of people and call the police.
|UMKC Police Department |
|(816) 235-1515 |
|Crime Prevention Unit |
Officer Jalonn Gordon
| ||(816) 235-1716|
UMKC Police Department
5005 Oak St.
Kansas City, MO 64112
Emergency Dial 9-1-1
Office hours: 24 hours per day
7 days per week
365 days per year.