Crime Prevention Tip
and Residence Hall Security
The UMKC Police Department encourages
you to join us in our efforts to provide a safe and secure environment
for you. Crime prevention and security awareness are self-serving qualities.
The following suggestions
are offered for your safety and well being.
- Unpack as soon as possible . It is not a good idea to leave property
in your vehicle for extended periods, especially overnight. Even if
arriving late at night, it is best to unload immediately. Ask a friend
to help you move in.
- During move-in , do not leave property unattended in your car, on
the sidewalk, in the lobby, or in your unlocked room. Keep both car
and room locked while unloading and moving between the locations.
- Get acquainted with your neighbors on your floor and in your building
as quickly as possible. Every resident has a role to play in security.
Part of that role is to know who belongs and who doesn't.
- Always lock your door . Whether you are at home, "just down the
hall for a minute", or out of the building, always keep your door
locked. Ask your roommates to do the same. If your roommate is taking
a nap when you leave - lock the door .
- Recognize strangers and do something about them. If you feel comfortable
in doing so, ask them if you might help them. If not, report them
to your RA, or call the UMKC Police Department at 1515 on any campus
- Secure your personal property , especially expensive and easily
transportable items. Lock them up. Use cables to secure electronic
components, check the UMKC Bookstore for ideas. Engrave items with
unique identifiers - call the UMKC Police Department Crime Prevention
Officer at 235-1515 for information on using engraving tools.
- Do not allow entry into your wing or building to those whom you
do not know. Don't let them "tailgate" when you go in. Refer them
to a guest telephone or front desk personnel.
- Be assertive where security is concerned. You have both rights and
obligations in this regard. You have a right to expect your neighbors
to follow good security practices and to do things which protect your
interests. You have an obligation to do the same for them.
- Use your door viewer if you have one. Know who is on the other side
before opening the door.
|UMKC Police Department |
|(816) 235-1515 |
|Crime Prevention Unit |
Officer Jalonn Gordon
UMKC Police Department
5005 Oak St.
Kansas City, MO 64110
Emergency Dial 9-1-1
Office hours: 24 hours per day
7 days per week
365 days per year.