Crime Prevention Tip
How to Protect Yourself in a Parking Garage
- If you must leave a key with a parking attendant, leave only your vehicle's ignition key. Do not leave anything attached to it with your name and address.
- Don't park next to a van's sliding door.
- Change from high heels to low flats or even sneakers when leaving work. They are better to run in.
- At night, leave your office or building in the company of others. Don't leave alone after dark. If possible, have someone from your building security escort you, or call for police assistance.
- Approach your vehicle with your keys already in your hand.
- Look around your vehicle for any suspicious activity. If you see someone loitering around your vehicle, walk past until they leave.
- Do a quick scan of your vehicle's interior before unlocking the door. Be sure to look in the back seat.
- Keep your doors locked and your windows shut.
- Be suspicious of anyone approaching your vehicle, whether passing out leaflets or asking for donations. Always leave the car windows up.
|UMKC Police Department |
|(816) 235-1515 |
|Crime Prevention Unit |
Officer Jalonn Gordon
| ||(816) 235-1716|
UMKC Police Department
4825 Troost Ave.
Kansas City, MO 64110
Emergency Dial 9-1-1
Office hours: 24 hours per day
7 days per week
365 days per year.