Residential Life


students in dorm room

Following is a list of frequently asked questions and answers for life in the residence halls. This information is primarily for Oak Street and Johnson halls. Read more information about Move-in Day.

What should I bring to the residence halls?

We've provided a list of recommended and optional items that you may want to bring with you when you move in, as well as a list of items that are prohibited in the Oak Street and Johnson residence halls. Before bringing all of your stuff to move in, it might be helpful to touch base with your roommate to coordinate any larger items or decorative items.

Optional items

  • Television set with cable hook-up (free cable is provided in the rooms)
  • Posters and pictures
  • Dishes, bowls, cups
  • Area rug
  • Stamps

Prohibited items

  • Cooking appliances (toasters, hot plates, George Foreman Grills, coffeemakers, etc.)
  • Mini-fridge, microwave, or freezer (micro-fridge with freezer and microwave is provided in each room)
  • Candles, incense, or oil lamps
  • Firearms
  • Fireworks
  • Drugs, alcohol, or alcohol containers (these items are in violation of University policy)
  • Pets (we do not allow pets, except fish)

Technology FAQs

Do I need a computer?

You do not need to bring a computer to campus, although many of our students do. There are several computers on the Volker and Hospital Hill campuses, as well as a few computer kiosks and small computer rooms located in each hall. They contain computers which are networked with the UMKC network. The labs in both halls are open 24 hours a day. UMKC IT has minimum requirements and recommendations for hardware and software if you choose to bring a computer. If you bring a laptop, you should bring a lock to secure it.

What kind of technology should I bring?

You should bring a cable-ready TV and cable along with a power strip with surge protection.

What kind of computer will I need?

The decision to bring a Macintosh or Windows laptop or desktop computer is of personal preference. You should consider how much space you will have in your room and whether you want to take advantage of wireless access on campus. If you bring a laptop, bring a lock to secure it. For general computer information, visit the UMKC Information Services Web site or Student Computer Resource Guide.

Will I have telephone, cable and Ethernet access in my room?

Cable and Ethernet (Internet) services are provided as part of your UMKC residence hall contract and will be functioning when you move in. We no longer provide landlines in our resident rooms.

All public areas in the residence halls are wireless, as are most rooms— you may want to connect to the Ethernet hook-up for a faster and more secure connection in your room.

What if I have trouble setting up my computer?

If you're having trouble, contact UMKC Information Services at 816-235-2000. UMKC IS provides assistance for students and parents who are experiencing problems when installing their computers. There will be an IS person located in both halls during move-in to provide general information and trouble shooting for students.

Why should I worry about what I post online?

Be cautious when using social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. You should realize that anyone (parents, prospective employers, instructors) may be able to view these sites. Don't put personal contact information, including your address and phone number, online. Personal information can be used by stalkers or to steal your identity.

Settling in

Can I change my room or hall assignment?

You may request to change your housing assignment during the "Roommate Swap Season," which takes place three weeks after the halls open. Room change requests will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis as long as space is available. Between June 15th and the Roommate Swap Season, we will not grant room changes.

How do I get my mail?

Mail and packages are delivered daily, except Sundays and holidays. You can pick up mail from your mailbox located near the front desk. You will be informed when you have a package by email. You may pick up your packages at the front desk, where you will need to sign for them and present a valid student ID. Please note that mail is not distributed or forwarded when the halls are closed for academic breaks, so plan accordingly. Your mailing address is on your room assignment letter. Ask your family and friends to be sure they include your room number, hall and street address when they send mail to you. Use this format when giving out your address:

Room Number and Hall
University of Missouri-Kansas City
Street Address of Hall
Kansas City, MO 64112

Do you have married student housing or housing for students with children?

At this time, UMKC Residential Life does not provide specific housing for married students or students with children. However, married student housing and housing for students with children is available through the UMKC Real Estate Office.

What type of light bulbs should I use?

We recommend bringing compact fluorescent light bulbs for desk lamps and other personal lighting for your room. These bulbs use 75 percent less energy, generate less heat and last 10 times longer than conventional bulbs.

Where can I do laundry?

Coin-operated and card access (with Roo Bucks) automatic washers and dryers are located on the lower level of each residence hall and can be used by residents. Due to the limited number of washers and dryers, non-residents may not use these facilities. Laundry is $1 per load and $1 per load in dryers.

Are kitchen facilities available?

All halls are equipped with a community kitchen area for residents' use. Be sure to clean up after yourself if you choose to cook in the kitchen.

Who cleans my room?

You and your roommate have that responsibility. Our custodial staff keeps public bathrooms, lounges and hallways clean. You also might want to keep some cleaning supplies in your room, such as dusting and cleaning wipes.

Who cleans the bathrooms?

You, your roommate and suitemates are responsible for the cleaning of your bathroom. So be sure to pick up after yourself throughout the day to keep the bathrooms clean and neat for all residents. Please do not "trash" the bathroom, as this creates a problem for other roommates.

What if something in my room needs to be fixed?

If something in your room or a public area in the residence halls is in need of attention or repair, please fill out an online work order. Verbal requests, or requests not on work orders, will not be honored.

Oak Street Work Order

Johnson Hall Work Order

Work requests submitted after 3 p.m. during weekdays will not be reviewed until the following day. Work requests entered during the weekend will not be reviewed until Monday morning. If your maintenance request is of an emergency nature, please report it to the front desk.

Can I smoke in my room?

No. Smoking is not allowed anywhere in the residence halls. If you are found in violation of the non-smoking policy, you will be subject to disciplinary action.

Can I light candles, burn incense, or use them solely as decoration?

Because of fire-safety standards, candles or items with open flames and incense are prohibited in the residence halls. Possession of these items will result in their removal and the student will be subject to disciplinary action.

Can I have overnight guests?

Guests at the UMKC residence halls may stay overnight in a student room for a maximum of two nights a month without charge. After two nights, guests will be required to pay the standard overnight guest fee for any additional overnight stays, even if different residents register them. Also, all contract occupants of a room and/or suite must agree to the overnight stay of a guest, and all guests must be registered at the reception desk. Paying guests are allowed a maximum stay of three nights.

Where do I park my car?

Information about parking regulations, permits, meters, visitor parking and tips on how to avoid a campus parking ticket can be found on the Parking Operations website. Students are responsible for their vehicles and all family vehicles when they are parked on the UMKC campus. Students with disabilities should contact the Parking Operations Office at 816-235-5256 for information. Parking Operations is located in the Administrative Center, room 221. Office hours are M-F, 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. - 5 p.m.

When will I receive my parking permit?

Permits can either be purchased each semester or in the fall and spring for multiple semesters. To avoid long lines, we strongly encourage purchasing a permit though the Parking Operations website. Permits are currently available for sale on-line and will be available for sale in the Parking Operations Department located in the Administrative Center, room 221, 5115 Oak Street beginning July 30, 2012. The cost of the permit can be billed to the student account if the student does not have a financial encumbrance. Other accepted forms of payment are MasterCard, Visa, Discover, cash, or check. The permit application must be made no later than August 13 to have the permit cost on the student account prior to financial aid disbursement. Any questions regarding a parking ticket received on the UMKC campus can be directed to the Parking Operations Department (816-235-5256).

What kind of parking permit do I need?

There are two different kinds of parking permits available for purchase for our Residential Life students. You should purchase the permit that best meets your needs. Please visit the Parking Operations site for more detailed information.

  • Student Parmit
    These parking permits are valid for all student lots and are $115/semester, $230 for the academic year, or $288 for the academic year plus summer.
  • Oak Place Parking Permit - Valid 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the Oak Place parking structure and all UMKC student permit lots
    Residential students can purchase a permit for the Oak Place parking structure for $160 per semester. This structure is gate accessed and permit sales are limited to the amount of spaces available. This permit is also valid in all student permit lots on campus. The Fall 2011 priority deadline date for Oak Place residents to apply for a permit is July 16 - 30. After July 30, residents of Johnson and Oak Hall can apply for the remaining available spaces.

Where can I use my meal plan on campus?

Meal plans can be used in the Cafeteria on the first floor of the Student Success Center. There are several locations that accept flex dollars, in addition to vending machines: all-you-care-to-eat Cafeteria and UMKC Cafe, both located on the first floor of the Student Success Center; Chick-fil-A, Subconnection, Baja Fresh and Jazzman's Cafe & Bakery in the Student Union; Smart Market in the basement of Oak Street Residence Hall; Einstein Bros. Bagels is located on the first floor of Royall Hall; Robot Cafe is located in the Miller Nichols Library; and HSB Cafe-Hospital Hill is located in the Health Sciences Building on the Hospital Hill campus.

What if I don't use up all my meals during the week or semester?

All weekly meal plans reset every Monday morning before breakfast to either 15 or 12 depending on your plan. Unused meals will be lost at the end of each week. All block meals and flex dollars must be spent during the semester. Remaining meals and flex dollars will NOT roll over to the next semester. If you continually have unused meals at the end of the week, consider changing your meal plan to one with fewer meals.

How can I change my meal plan?

Meal plans may be changed by a student email request up until the first Friday of classes. After that, they can be changed at the end of the first semester and before the first day of the second semester. All meal plan changes need to be done by e-mailing

Additional questions?

Please don't hesitate to call us with any additional questions.
Phone: 816-235-8840