Recruitment | Hiring Process for Administrative Service or Support Direct-Promotion Opportunities
Hiring Process for Administrative Service or Support Direct-Promotion Opportunities
Notice of Opportunity
The direct-promote process applies to administrative, full-time, regular employees. Part-time and/or temporary employees are considered outside applicants and therefore are not eligible for direct promotion.
- Department HR Facilitator will obtain necessary approvals and create a job opening in eRecruit. Note: Indicate 'DIRECT PROMOTE OPPORTUNITY' in the Posting Title. When selected the job posting visibility, only select 'Internal."
- Job offers cannot exceed the amount on the job posting. Any changes made after the initial posting will require an additional five business days on the job listing prior to extending job offer. Adjustments cannot be made at the time the job offer is extended.
- Minimum qualifications are taken from the official job specifications found on the UM Job Code Detail page and provided on the job posting. Preferred qualifications can be added, but minimum qualifications cannot be changed.
- Job Description information can also be found on the official job specifications found on the UM Job Code Detail page. You are encouraged to use a more detailed description if it is available at the department level, and still aligned with the official job specification.
- Administrative job postings must include a closing date. Positions should be posted for a duration that will ensure the opportunity for everyone from the unit to apply.
- Internal candidates are still required to submit an application in eRecruit to be reviewed and considered for direct-promote opportunities. Resumes and applications that are sent directly to the departments are not to be considered. These individuals must to the myHR website to officially apply.
- The notice of opportunity should be communicated in a manner that will ensure the opportunity for everyone from the unit to apply. Please review the Direct Promote Announcement Template. If the position is union-eligible, follow union guidelines for posting information.
- If qualified internal candidates apply, they must be interviewed and given due consideration for the position.
- If no qualified candidates from within the department apply within the designated timeframe, the direct-promote process can proceed.
Hiring Paperwork/Job Offers
- Please note: Direct promote candidate pools do not require pool certification from the Office of Affirmative Action.
- The decision to hire is made by the hiring manager and must be emailed to the HR Facilitator, and approved by the Recruiter prior to any job offers being extended.
- The Department HR Facilitator will obtain appropriate approvals and create the job offer in eRecruit.
- The Recruiter will review the job offer for compliance. If there are any discrepancies, the Recruiter will notify the HR Facilitator and discuss the information in question.
Recruiter will review the job offer for the following:
- the recommended salary falls within the posted range, and
- two completed reference checks have been conducted and attached in eRecruit.
- If the job offer is in compliance, the Recruiter will contact the candidate to confirm the offer.
- The Recruiter confirms the start date with the candidate and notifies the HR Facilitator and anyone else attached to the job.
- HR will assume all responsibility for processing.
- Please note: If a hiring manager wishes to extend the offer to their direct-promote candidate, please contact the Recruiter to discuss prior to the offer conversation.