Technology Training and eLearning Support
The roles and responsibilities of UMKC's Information Access Division are broad and extensive. Our mission is to provide service levels that exceed our users' expectations.
The structure of the Information Access Division includes the following departments.
- Instructional Technology Services (ITS) - responsible for the Learning Management System and associated applications, including Blackboard, Wimba, WebEx, SharePoint, ListServ, Moodle, Respondus, eInstruction, LockDown Browser, ePortfolio, Tegrity (podcasting), Learning Objects (blogs and wikis) and Turnitin.com. ITS also provides a variety of Video and Audio services to the UMKC campus including Videoconferencing, ITV Classroom Facilities, DVD Duplication, VHS to DVD transfers, and audio encoding and ripping, Video Production, Studio Production, Location Video Taping, Video Archiving and Video Stream Service. Time Warner and Comcast cable channels KCEN, and KCHN, are also managed by ITS.
- Academic Enhancement (AE) - While the use of technology in education is increasing, it can sometimes seem intimidating to implement. Both online and classroom courses are greatly enhanced by the use of visuals and technology plays a vital role in presenting ideas and examples to the learner. Academic Enhancement - a department within Information Access - is a valuable resource that is free to UMKC faculty members. Academic Enhancement currently offers a variety of services to facilitate the learning and teaching experience through technology.
Free services provided by Academic Enhancement include:
- Video Production
- Computer Animation
- Audio/Video Conversions
- Supplementation of PowerPoint Presentations
To learn more about how technology can be incorporated into your on-line, and classroom curriculum, contact Academic Enhancement by calling (816) 235-1094, or emailing email@example.com. You may also stop by and see us in person at 302a in the Fine Arts Building.
- Instructional Design (ID) - The Instructional Design Department at UMKC is available to assist faculty in all aspects of online teaching, course development and update of current online courses. Instructional Design staff teach several different workshops aimed at both the pedagogical aspects of online teaching as well as current theory in instructional design. Staff of this department are also responsible for certifying online courses and programs to ensure that they meet the UMKC standards for excellence in online teaching. The Instructional Design Department:
- Provides professional development to faculty groups who desire a greater understanding of pedagogical approaches to teaching online and for best practice in online course design.
- Provides Blackboard and Moodle course building workshops, course development assistance, and course design services to online programs offered by UMKC.
- Assists faculty with assessment and evolution of web-based technology in their courses.