- Information Access
- About Us
- Instructional Design
- Instructional Technologies
- Foundation Services
- Academic Enhancement
- Internal Applications
- Software & Applications
- eLearning Blog
Learning Management System
Customizing your Site
- Modify the UMKC Tab Contents: Change the modules shown.
- Change the Page Layout: Change the order of the modules and the column contents.
- Change the Color Scheme
- Hide Courses/Organizations I Don't Use
- Customize Course Properties
- Customize Course Appearance
Blackboard allows its users to modify what is shown on the UMKC tab. There are several modules you can select including daily updates from New York Times, Weather.com, Time, or you can show a calculator or thesaurus. You can also change the appearance of the page. In the Courses tab, you can hide course that you don't use so you can easily find the courses you do.
- From the UMKC tab, click Add Module in the top left corner of the page.
- Click the checkbox next to the modules to appear on the page. Uncheck the modules to remove by clicking the checkbox. Modules with a red check in the checkbox cannot be removed from your My UMKC page.
- Click Submit.
- From the UMKC page, hover the cursor over the title of the module to be moved.
- Left-click and drag the module to its new location.
- From the UMKC page, click Personalize Page in the top right corner of the frame.
- In the Color Palette Library, click the name of the color scheme to use.
- Click Submit.
If you have courses (organizations) showing that you do not use, you can hide them from view.
- Click the Manage Module button at the top right of the My Courses (Organizations) module.
- Find the course/organization you want to hide.
- Uncheck the box in the Display Course (Organization) Name column.
- To change any other display settings, check or uncheck the appropriate boxes.
- Click Submit.
Hiding Unused Courses: Download detailed instructions including images as a PDF.
Hiding Unused Organizations: Download detailed instructions including images as a PDF.
- Access the Customization menu in the Control Panel found on the right side of every page of the course site.
- From the Customization menu select Properties.
- Enter a name in the Course Name text box.
- The course can be made available or unavailable to users by selecting Yes or No next to Make Course Available.
- From the Customization menu select Teaching Style. Under Select Course
Structure, numerous course structures are available for instructors to
choose from. Course structures consist of Course Menu links and content
templates. An Instructor can use a course structure as a foundation for
building his or her course site. Adding a course structure to the course site
does not modify existing site components. After adding a course structure,
the instructor can delete unnecessary items in order to tailor the structure
to fit the course. For more information on course structures, refer to
Blackboard Course Structures.
Select Existing Menu to keep your existing Course Menu or select a course structure to add it to the course structure.
- Select the first area you want the user to see when entering the course site from the Entry Point drop down menu.
- Select the menu style preferred (either Text or Buttons) as well as style and color options if desired.
- Under Course Menu Display and Default Content View make selections based on your preferences. Below are images of how the preferences affect the appearance of the course site. Click the checkbox next to Permit Both Views if users should be allowed to change the view they see when logged in.
- A banner can be added to the course site or an existing banner can be deleted. To add a banner, click the Browse My Computer button and select the banner image file from your computer hard drive. The banner is displayed on the course’s entry point page.