Microsoft Office 2013 is the new productivity suite for creating and editing
documents, email spreadsheets, presenting material, etc. The new version is
designed for the Windows platform and includes Outlook, Word, Excel, Access,
PowerPoint, OneNote, Publisher and Lync. Microsoft Lync 2013 is the new instant
messaging and collaboration tool that replaces MS Communicator. Lync 2013 is
available for both Windows, OS X and mobile operating systems.
Microsoft Office 2011 for Macintosh remains the standard office productivity suite for Apple computers.
MS Office is available to university-owned computers, running Windows 7 or
newer operating systems.
- Operating system: Windows 7 or newer
- Memory (RAM): 4 GB RAM
- Hard Disk: 3.0 GB available
- Display: Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX10 graphics card and a 1024 x 576 or higher resolution monitor.
Note: If you are using a Macintosh computer running Boot Camp or running
Parallels or VMWare and your computer meets the requirements, you can run Office
2013 on your Mac.
Here are some of the new features included in these products:
- Excel has an enhanced auto-complete feature called Flash Fill for quickly filling in commonly used words and phrases.
- Ability to insert a picture or an audio or video clip directly from online repositories
- Office 2013 is now touch- and stylus friendly
- SkyDrive is an online consumer service provided by Microsoft for file storage and sharing. It is not appropriate at this time to use SkyDrive for the storage of University private data. The University provides network storage, and can also provide SharePoint Sites for storage of University data.
- Endnote – If you use Endnote X6 or earlier please also request the Endnote X7 upgrade, as previous versions Endnote are not designed to work with Office 2013.
- Acrobat Pro – If you use Acrobat Pro X or earlier and still need the integrated Acrobat toolbar in Office, you will need to upgrade to version XI. The cost is $30/year or $80/3 years.
- Office 2013 is not supported on systems running Windows XP or Windows Vista
- Third-party add-ins may need to be reinstalled
Note: Outlook 2013 will only sync the last year of your email. If you need to read or search for older email please click on this link “Click here to view more on Microsoft Exchange”, which will be located at the bottom of your email list.
Obtaining the new software
IS Support Services will be contacting departments that we support directly to schedule an upgrade. Schools that have their own IT staff should contact their IT Liaison for more information.
Additional software upgrades should also be requested through the Call Center. For the Acrobat Pro XI upgrade, you will need to specify 1) whether you want the 1-year or 3-year option and 2) which MoCode to charge.
Microsoft Office -
Microsoft Word - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/redir/HA102809597.aspx
Microsoft Outlook - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/redir/HA102606408.aspx
Microsoft Excel - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/redir/HA102809308.aspx
Microsoft PowerPoint - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/redir/HA102809628.aspx
Microsoft OneNote - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/redir/HA102749260.aspx
Microsoft Access - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/redir/HA102809500.aspx
Microsoft Publisher - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/redir/HA102840104.aspx
Microsoft Lync - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/support/redir/HA102927099.aspx