Linux Remote Lab Connection Instructions
These instructions reflect a system running Ubuntu 13.10 and Firefox 28. If you are using a different web browser or
distribution of Linux the dialog boxes will vary slightly, but the procedure will remain similar.
If you have any additional questions, please visit the
Remote Labs FAQ or contact the
IS Call Center
- Linux users who are off-campus have the additional requirement of needing to use a VPN
connection. Instructions on VPN connections can be found here.
Do not proceed until you have successfully connected to VPN.
- Visit the available labs and applications page
- Enter your SSO username and SSO password
- Click Logon
- Select a Remote Lab and click on Connect to Remote Desktop
- If labs seats are available you will be taken to another page
- Click on the Launch my session! button
- Click Save when prompted to Open or Save the connection file
- A .RDP file containing connection details will be added to your downloads directory. Make note of the file name, but do not open this file yet.
- Launch the Remmina Remote Desktop client
- Click Tools in the toolbar
- Click Import
- Navigate to your downloads directory and select the .RDP file from step #9
- Click Open
- Double Click the new entry in the connections list
- You will be prompted for credentials. Login with your fully qualified username ("UMKC-USERS\username") and SSO password
- You may notice a connection dialog while your session is being connected
- If you have not recently connected to this remote lab computer there will also be a delay as your profile is created. This is normal.
- You are now connected! You may browse to the Windows start menu and launch available applications