The following page(s) contain instructions on using Remote Desktop to connect to Faculty & Staff Windows computers on the UMKC campus (from off-campus).
Attention: Your campus computer must be powered on and you must also have rights to access your computer remotely. You must also follow these steps (one time only) to ensure your campus computer is ready to accept Remote Desktop connections. If you need assistance, please contact the IS Call Center or your IT Liaison.
Windows Remote Desktop Connection Instructions
Anyone wanting to use Remote Desktop from off-campus (using a Windows computer) should no longer connect via VPN, but should rather configure their Remote Desktop client to use UMKC's Terminal Services Gateway.
Note: Always make sure you are using the latest version of the Remote Deskop client by running Windows Update periodically.
If you have not recently connected to this computer there will be a delay as your profile is created. This is normal.
- Start Remote Desktop Client, but don't connect yet. This should be under Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Remote Desktop.
- For Computer, enter the name of the remote computer to connect to. If you are unable to determine the name of your campus (office) computer, contact the IS Call Center or your IT Liaison
- Click on Options
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Under Connect from anywhere click on Settings
- Select Use these TS Gateway server settings
- Enter the server name tsg.umkc.edu
- Check the box to "Use my RD Gateway credentials for the remote computer"
- Click OK to save the Terminal Services Gateway settings
- Click on the General tab
- Click Save to save this as your default settings (once saved you can skip steps 3 through 9)
- Click Connect
- When prompted for credentials, type ‘umkc-users\’ followed by your SSO username (e.g.umkc-users\doej)
- Enter your SSO passsword
- Click OK
- If you receive a warning regarding the computer certificate:
- Check the box "Don't ask me again..."
- Click Yes
You are now connected!