Detailed Windows Instructions
Please note: These instructions were written using specific versions of Windows.
- If you are off-campus, you must first establish a VPN connection.
- Open Windows Explorer
- If you are using Windows 7, click on the Tools menu. If you are using Windows 8, click on the Computer tab.
(If you do not see the Tools menu, press the ALT key.)
- Click on Map Network Drive
- Select a letter from the drive letter dropdown menu.
- In the Folder field, type the UNC path to the network share
- N:\ Drive - Type "\\kc.umkc.edu\kc-users"
- Q:\ Drive - Type \\kc.umkc.edu\kc-users\home\[first letter of your UMKC Username]\[UMKC Username] in the folder field. (e.g. John Doe would type \\kc.umkc.edu\kc-users\home\d\doej)
Check the box to Connect using different credentials Click Finish Enter umkc-users\your UMKC Username in the username field Enter your UMKC Usernamepassword in the password field Click OK
Unmapping (removing) A Network Share
These instructions will not remove the actual network share. They will remove the drive letter that was temporarily associated with the share and prevent the share from showing up in Windows Explorer.
- Open a windows Command Prompt
- Hold the Windows logo key and press the letter 'R'
- Type "CMD"
- Press Enter
Type "net use [driveletter]: /d" (e.g. "net use q: /d") Press Enter
Your device's vulnerability is determined by the security settings, policies and behaviors you employ in the use and management of the device. It is your responsibility to protect your device from unauthorized access.