Apple iOS has a built-in Virtual Private Network (VPN) client that allows you to establish a secure connection to UMKC's local area network.
Detailed iOS VPN Instructions (iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch)
- Tap on the Settings app from the home screen
- Tap General
- Tap VPN
- Tap Add VPN Configuration
- For the VPN type select PPTP
- In the space next to Description, type: UMKC
- In the space next to Server, type: vpn.umkc.edu
- In the space next to Account, type your UMKC Username
- In the space next to Password, type your UMKC Username password. Note: you will need to update your VPN settings every time you change your UMKC Username password
- Do not change any other settings
- Tap Done in the top right corner
- Move the VPN slider to the ON position to establish the VPN connection
- When you no longer need the VPN connection, open the settings app and move the VPN slider to the OFF position
A VPN connects your device to the UMKC network. This means it is visible to the world as part of the UMKC network which exposes it to the same threats as any device on the campus. These may include attempts to gain unauthorized access to your machine. Your device's vulnerability is determined by the security settings, policies and behaviors you employ in the use and management of the device. It is your responsibility to protect your device from unauthorized access.