OS X has a built-in Virtual Private Network (VPN) client that allows you to establish a secure connection to UMKC's local area network.
macOS 10.12 Sierra
- Open System Preferences by clicking the Apple menu in the top left and selecting System Preferences.
- Click Network
- Click the "+" button in the lower left.
- Select interface type VPN.
- Select VPN type Cisco IPSec.
- Change service name to UMKC-IPSec.
- Click Create.
- For server address, enter weblogon.umkc.edu
- For account name, enter your UMKC Username. Do not include @umkc.edu or @mail.umkc.edu. If your account is on a non-UMKC domain you will need to prepend your username with your domain prefix.
- Click Authentication Settings.
- For password, type your UMKC Username password. Note: you will need to update your VPN settings every time you change your UMKC Username password.
- For shared secret, type UMKC.
- For group name, type UMKC.
- Click OK.
- Click Apply.
- Click Connect.
- When you no longer need the VPN connection, close it by clicking the VPN icon at the top of the screen and selecting Disconnect UMKC-IPSec from the dropdown menu.
- To restart the VPN connection to the UMKC network later, just click the VPN icon at the top of the screen and select Connect UMKC-IPSec.
Apple OS X 10.7 to 10.11
- Open System Preferences. It can be accessed by clicking the Apple menu in the top left corner and selecting System Preferences.
- Open the Network tab.
- Unlock the Network pane by clicking the lock in the lower left and entering an administrator name and password.
- Once unlocked, click the "+" button in the lower left to bring up the Add Service screen. Select VPN from the drop-down menu.
- For the VPN type select 'PPTP'.
- For the Service Name type 'UMKC VPN'.
- Click 'Create'.
- In the space next to 'Server address', type: vpn.umkc.edu
- In the space next to 'Account name', type your Exchange username.
- In the space next to 'Encryption', leave it set to Automatic (128 bit or 40 bit).
- Click "Advanced"
- Check the box for 'Send all traffic over VPN connection'
- Click OK to save the Advanced Settings.
- Check the box next to 'Show VPN status in menu bar'. This will create a VPN icon at the top of the screen you can use later to start and stop the VPN connection.
- Click the Apply button at the bottom of the Network window.
- Click 'Connect'. The VPN Connection window will prompt you for your password. After you enter your password, the VPN icon at the top of the screen will show the authentication process and then present a timer to indicate how long the connection has been active.
- You may now use software that requires a secure connection to the campus network.
- When you no longer need the VPN connection, close it by clicking the VPN icon at the top of the screen and selecting Disconnect UMKC VPN from the dropdown menu.
- To restart the VPN connection to the UMKC network later, just click the VPN icon at the top of the screen and select 'Connect UMKC VPN'.
A VPN connects your device to the UMKC network. This means it is visible to the world as part of the UMKC network which exposes it to the same threats as any device on the campus. These may include attempts to gain unauthorized access to your machine. Your device's vulnerability is determined by the security settings, policies and behaviors you employ in the use and management of the device. It is your responsibility to protect your device from unauthorized access.