UMKC - International Student Affairs
CURRICULAR PRACTICAL TRAINING (CPT)
EMPLOYMENT INFORMATION FOR CURRENT INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS on F-1 visa
Curricular Practical Training
What is CPT?
Who is Eligible to Apply for CPT?
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is off-campus employment that is required by or relevant to a particular degree program.
- CPT must be directly linked to curricular demands; consequently, CPT is designed to supplement educational experience and is not merely to facilitate off-campus employment.
CPT and Course-Work Requirement
- F-1 Visa holders (students)
- Students who are enrolled full time at UMKC
- Students who have completed at least two consecutive academic semesters
This requirement is not fulfilled by semesters in which English as a Second Language requirements were fulfilled
- Transferring graduate students may be considered for CPT in the first-semester if their academic program requires such enrollment
When Should You Seek CPT Authorization?
- CPT is only available while there are course or research requirements to be fulfilled for degree completion
- CPT is not available after all course, thesis, or dissertation requirements have been fulfilled
- You MUST apply for and receive CPT authorization from the ISAO BEFORE beginning any type of internship or off-campus employment
- Completion of the CPT session on Blackboard with a passing score is required
The On-Line CPT Application Service provides a detailed overview of CPT Eligibility Rules and Expectations.
- Applications must be submitted to the ISAO at least 10 days prior to the anticipated employment start date
- A new I-20 will be issued as work authorization for the employer and the student's records
Paper forms to apply for CPT are no longer accepted.