e-Orientation On-Line is required for ALL students(including ESL, Conditional Admission, and non-degree-seeking).
If you are planning your travel to Kansas City, READ about getting your VISA,
You should do this AFTER you have been admitted and BEFORE you start preparing to travel to Kansas City.
If you haven't done it yet, DO IT NOW!: click the link.
planning your travel to arrive no later than the 'Reporting Date' on your I-20 or DS-2019, and other important facts!
Students who have just arrived in Kansas City, to begin their education at UMKC, should follow the 4 steps below to ensure a smooth transition into their first semester.
Typical Reporting Date
International Student Orientation
(Most) Classes start on
Mon, Jun 2, 2014
Fall semester Orientation on Tue, Aug 19, 2014
Mon, Jun 9, 2014
Upon arrival, please follow steps 1 through 4:
- English Language Placement Test (Required for some but not for all.)
- Orientation is MANDATORY for all degree-seeking students! (in August and January)
- Enroll in Classes
New students must first "check-in" at the International Student Affairs Office (ISAO):
- Schedule Check-In Appointment for one of the current Check-In Sessions at the Student Success Center:
Thursday Mar 13, 2014
02:00 PM - 03:30 PM
If you cannot find a check-in session for yourself within 1-2 days after your arrival at UMKC, or if you arrive late when the semester has already started, please present yourself immediately at the ISAO office (G-04, Student Success Center) and identify yourself at the ISAO Welcome Center with the information: "I need to check in!"
You must complete a Check-In Session before you will be able to register for classes.
- Each Session can only accommodate 15 students so please sign-up in advance for the session you wish to attend.
- All of your documents must be presented to the Front Desk Staff at the time you sign-up for a session.
Required documents are:
- passport with visa and U.S. entry stamp, marked valid for Duration of Status by 'D/S' (or the I-94 if a physical card was issued)
- immunization records (optional)
- final transcripts and certificates of completion.
ISAO requires OFFICIAL transcripts and certificates of completion to be handed in; we cannot make photocopies of these documents.
Only under exceptional circumstances can ISAO make or accept copies that can be certified as OFFICIAL.
Once released to ISAO, these transcripts become the property of the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
- Please arrive for your session 15 minutes in advance; late entry to the Check-In Sessions is not permitted.
- Language Placement Test:
This test is given by UMKC's Applied Language Institute at 5301 Rockhill Road.
The ALI Test is required for all newly admitted students who have no TOEFL/IELTS English proficiency test scores or who have test scores of less than 100 (TOEFL iBT) or 6.5 (IELTS).
Students from official English speaking countries or who have studied two years of academic courses in an English speaking country are exempt from this English test. When you make an appointment On-Line for your Check-In session (see above) or an ALI Test, you will be informed whether you need to take this test.
- Go to ALI office at 5301 Rockhill Road and inquire about available ALI Language Placement Test sessions.
Currently, no sessions have been scheduled or all scheduled sessions have been filled.
Bring required documents: passport with visa and U.S. entry stamp (or I-94 card), and I-20/DS-2019.
for NEW, degree-seeking students with Summer or Fall semester start:.
Fall semester Orientation on Tue, Aug 19, 2014.
- Enroll in Classes:
You will be directed to see an academic advisor in your academic department after the Check-In. The academic advisor will assist you to pick your classes.
You will then go to the Registration Office to enroll for new classes, or you are enrolled in your classes by your advisor (or by yourself on-line with help of the advisor) by entering your information directly into Pathway, your personal, self-service resource at UMKC.
In order to be able to log into Pathway, you need your UMKC username/email account information and your assigned password. This is part of the information that you will receive at check-in.
You will be able to pay tuition fees at the Cashiers Office or On-Line. The Registration Office and Cashiers Office are located in the Administrative Center