Welcome to the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs. Our mission is to enhance and improve the college experience of students of color at UMKC. We support the growth and development of multicultural students through educational, social and cultural programming. Our office’s efforts support the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management’s mission of enriching the lives of students and others through quality educational services and purposeful co-curricular programming.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Maintaining an open-door policy for all students (Appointments and walk-ins are always welcome.);
- Interacting with and assisting students, providing informal mentoring and directing students to campus resources;
- Planning a variety of activities and events throughout the academic year that stimulate educational, cultural and social growth;
- Supporting and advising multicultural student organizations;
- Encouraging and supporting students to get involved in campus activities and organizations and to take advantage of the many leadership opportunities available on campus;
- Collaborating with other departments, academic units and student organizations to further enhance our programs so that we can adequately meet the needs of students of color at UMKC; and
- Directing the activities of the African-American History and Culture House.
Through these services and programs, we assist students of color to become integrated into the academic and social systems of campus life. Our office serves to compliment the classroom experience of students at UMKC.
The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, initiated in 1988, serves as a liaison between the University and multicultural students in assessing needs and developing programs to meet those needs.
The office serves multicultural students at UMKC by maintaining an open-door policy, advising student organizations, engaging in one-on-one counseling and facilitating in fostering the growth and development of multicultural students by implementing educational, social and cultural programming. The aim is to assist multicultural students in achieving their educational goals and to encourage student involvement in the academic and social systems of college life.
In an effort to promote celebration of cultural diversity on campus, ongoing educational and cultural programs have been designed to increase levels of awareness, participation and understanding of and an appreciation for the historical and cultural heritage of our multicultural students. Such programs are presented and co-sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs.
In addition, collaborative programming in the interest of our multicultural students and Kansas City's multicultural students at large is implemented with secondary, post-secondary institutions and community organizations. Such a focus has been a goal of Multicultural Student Affairs in an effort to improve University and community relations. To this end, the office has participated in the planning and implementation of several annual events designed for the University and the Greater Kansas City multicultural community at large.