Conservatory students perform on the University
UMKC “recycled” decades ago
75 years...and still making history.
In 1947 and 1948, five surplus wooden buildings were moved from an air
base, Camp Crowder in Neosho, Missouri, to the University of Kansas City
The former Enlisted Men's Service Club was converted into the Student Union.
One building was home to the Fine Arts department; another housed the school
for Freshmen Dentistry; and a camp barracks became the Pharmacy School.
The sole survivor is this barracks, which was relocated and is now the
Student Academic Support Services Building (SASS). The post’s spacious movie
theater became the UKC Playhouse in 1948. This was accomplished by placing
movie theater building over a new basement workshop.
The resulting structure – standing between the
Miller Nichols Library and
Swinney Recreation Center – provided a home for the Varsity Players, later
called the University Players. Despite the humbleness of the structure, the
far superior to the tents where plays had been performed in
For the first show, Playhouse director Dr. John Newfield chose Maxwell
Anderson's “Elizabeth the Queen.” A production of “The Merchant of Venice,”
featuring celebrated actor Clarence Derwent and staged in 1950, received
national press coverage. The Playhouse served campus, community and
professional productions until 1976, when it was closed.
All that remains of the old University Playhouse are the patio and the
The decorative ceramic masques atop the fireplace, representing
Comedy and Tragedy, were once functional chimneys. The site, especially the
is still a frequent and popular gathering place for campus
parties and picnics.
University Playhouse, c. 1948
Student Academic Support Services, 2008