FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Apr 4, 2011 #060
Contact: John Austin
Annual UMKC Dental Conference attracts thousands of attendees to KC
Conference features cutting-edge clinical and practice management programs
KANSAS CITY, MO. -- More than 3,500 dentists, dental hygienists, dental staff and their families and friends will congregate in Kansas City, Mo. this week for the annual Midwest Dental Conference (MDC), hosted by the UMKC School of Dentistry and its Dental and Dental Hygienists' Alumni Associations. The conference convenes Thursday, April 7, through Sunday, April 10, 2011, at the Hyatt Regency and Westin Crown Center Hotels.
The conference also serves as the School of Dentistry's annual alumni meeting, which has been taking place since the school's predecessor, the Western Dental College, formed its alumni association in 1892. By 1994 the meeting had become so large that it could be considered a regional professional meeting as well as an alumni meeting, so a broader educational program was developed and the annual event was renamed as the Midwest Dental Conference.
The four-day weekend offers attendees a variety of educational and social activities that include:
- A wide variety of Continuing Dental Education programs covering cutting-edge developments in clinical care and practice management
- Hands-on workshops that teach dentists new procedures such as surgical microscopy, supra-gingival dentistry, and rotary and ultrasonic endodontic instruments
- Ten Class Reunions will host receptions and dinners, ranging from the Class of 1951's 50th anniversary to the Class of 2006's 5th anniversary
- 135 Technical Exhibits where companies display their dental equipment, materials and services
- The annual Pouring from the Heart dinner and auction to raise money for the school's Oncology Dental Support Clinic
- The annual Alumni and Friends Recognition Breakfast, which attracts more than 250 guests to honor outstanding alumni, including Rinehart Medallion recipients (lifetime donors of $10,000 or more)
About the UMKC School of Dentistry
The UMKC School of Dentistry originated in 1881 as the Kansas City Dental College. The name has changed and the school has grown and evolved into a multi-faceted institution, but it has maintained a tradition of excellence in education for over a century. The School offers a varied and complete range of educational experiences for students of dentistry and dental hygiene and for graduate and continuing education students. For more information about the UMKC School of Dentistry, visit dentistry.umkc.edu. You can also find the School of Dentistry on Facebook.
About the University of Missouri-Kansas City
The University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC), one of four University of Missouri campuses, is a public university serving more than 15,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students. UMKC engages with the community and economy based on a four-part mission: life and health sciences; visual and performing arts; urban issues and education; and a vibrant learning and campus life experience. For more information about UMKC, visit www.umkc.edu. You can also find us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and watch us on YouTube.
This information is available to people with speech or hearing impairments by calling Relay Missouri at (800) 735-2966 (TT) or (800) 735-2466 (voice).