FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Mar 30, 2009 #036
Contact: Laura Byerley
UMKC School of Law hosts “Healthy Habits” month Events include a guided relaxation workshop, yoga class and photography contestTo many people, law school conjures up images of sleepless nights, harsh professors and cutthroat competition. At the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC) School of Law, that description could not be more untrue.
Beginning March 31, the school is hosting “Healthy Habits: Learning Healthy Practices to Improve Your Life.” The program’s goal is to provide law students with a foundation for healthy habits, said Kate Paulman, a third-year law student who helped organize the program.
“The more we, as lawyers, can take care of our own well-being, the more we’ll be able to serve our clients and community,” Paulman said. “The UMKC School of Law cares immensely about its students. The faculty wants to make sure that we’re not just good lawyers when we graduate, but that we’re good people, too.”
Following is a schedule of events:
- Jim Brady, the director of the Missouri Lawyers Assistance Program – a counseling program for members of The Missouri Bar, their families and law students – will speak about “Stress Management in the Legal Life” during a healthy lunch at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, March 31 in the Student Lounge at the UMKC School of Law, 500 E. 52nd St., Kansas City, Mo. The American Bar Association’s Law Student Division is funding the lunch. The Law School Dean’s Office, with assistance from the UMKC Law Foundation, is matching the ABA grant and sponsoring several “Healthy Habits” activities.
- The UMKC MindBody Connection – a collaboration of the UMKC Counseling Center and Student Health – will present a guided relaxation workshop from 3 to 4 p.m. on Tuesday, March 31 in the Jury Room at the UMKC School of Law.
- The UMKC School of Law will announce a photography contest on Tuesday, March 31 that will run through Wednesday, April 22. Contest winners will receive gift certificates for yoga classes and massage.
- Jeff Forker, a fiction writer and graduate student in the UMKC College of Arts and Sciences will present a creative writing workshop from 4 to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 8 in Room 1-300b at the UMKC School of Law.
- Becky Holsen, a registered yoga teacher at Kansas City, Mo.-based Plaza Wellspring will lead a yoga class for students from 4 to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 15 in the Courtroom Viewing Gallery at the UMKC School of Law.
- Kathy Phillips, a licensed massage therapist at Kansas City, Mo.-based LightSpot Massage Therapy will provide chair massages for students from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22 in the Courtroom Foyer at the UMKC School of Law.
The University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC), one of four University of Missouri campuses, is a public university serving more than 14,000 undergraduate, graduate and professional students. UMKC engages with the community and economy based on a four-part mission: life and health sciences; visual and performing arts; urban issues and education; and a vibrant learning and campus life experience.
This information is available to people with speech or hearing impairments by calling Relay Missouri at (800) 735-2966 (TT) or (800) 735-2466 (voice).