As a member of the Kansas City Area Student Exchange (KCASE), UMKC offers full-time undergraduate students an opportunity to register for one course a semester at another institution.
KCASE students pay regular tuition and fees at UMKC and laboratory/special course fees at their host institution.
The KCASE program is designed to offer students the opportunity to take courses of interest that are not offered at UMKC. Students should not plan to fulfill degree requirements through KCASE. However, approval to do so may be granted in exceptional circumstances.
Blue River Community College
Kansas City Art Institute
Longview Community College
Maple Woods Community College
Penn Valley Community College
William Jewell College
- Enrollment in at least 12 hours at the home institution during the semester that the KCASE course is taken
- 2.0 cumulative grade point average
- Approval of the academic dean or his/her designated representative to participate in KCASE
- Applied music, business, computer science, continuing education, engineering, health sciences, and special topics courses are excluded from this agreement
Students are expected to attend courses according to the host institution's academic calendar. KCASE is not available as an option to students during the summer term.
- Obtain a KCASE approval form from the Registration and Records office or by clicking here to print one.
- Concurrent enrollment at another institution must be approved by your academic unit. Therefore, forms must be signed by the student's academic dean's office. Depending on your academic unit, this may require a written petition. We recommend initiating this process at least six weeks prior to the start of the term.
- After approval, this form must be delivered to the UMKC Student Exchange Coordinator in the Registration & Records office, 115 Administrative Center, for final enrollment verification. The student will then be given the official KCASE program form to take to the host institution.
- The student then participates in the formal registration process at the host institution. This may include applying for admission and registering in classes. Registration must be completed by the end of the first week of class.
- Students must request a transcript be sent from the host institution in order to receive credit at UMKC for any courses taken through KCASE.
- Obtain the official KCASE program form with approved signatures from your home institution.
- Bring the form to the UMKC Admissions office to complete a "Visiting Student" application. Doretta Kidd, associate director of admissions, signs off on the KCASE program form. The UMKC Admissions office will notify the UMKC Cashiers Office to waive the student's fees on one course.
- Once the student is admitted, he or she will need to register in the class, just like any other UMKC student, by visiting the Registration and Records office or registering online. Registration must be completed by the end of the first week of class.
- At the end of the term, the Registration and Records office will automatically send a transcript to the home institution.