Change or Declare Your Residency Status
In order to change your residency status or declare residency status in the State of Missouri, or for the Kansas Metro Rate, students must file a petition.
- If you are a first time college student applying the semester following high school graduation, and graduated from a non-Missouri high school, you will be classified as a non-Missouri resident until proof of permanent Missouri residency is provided.
- If you have previous records with UMKC as a non-Missouri resident, your residency will remain non-resident until you submit a petition and your petition is approved.
- If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must be a resident of Missouri for the immediate past 12 consecutive months and must show proof of U.S. permanent residency for at least the immediate past 12 consecutive months (determined by the date "resident since" on your PR card).
- You must submit an application to UMKC and must be admitted into the university before your petition will be reviewed.
- The petition must be completed in accordance with the Student Residency Requirements set forth by the Coordinating Board of Higher Education.
- Students are required to submit photocopies of necessary documents along with their petition.
- The residency petition contains a list of suggested documents that students should submit in support of their petition.
- The Residency Committee considers each petition carefully and will deny a petition if it does not comply with the Student Residency Requirements. It is important to remember that a student may not be granted residency solely on the basis of submitting a petition.
- Familiarizing yourself with the Student Residency Requirements is highly recommended, prior to submitting a petition. For a printed copy of the above, please contact the Office of Admissions.
- The Residency Committee receives many petitions every day, especially around deadline dates, and petitions are reviewed on a first-come; first-served basis. It can take up to four weeks to receive a response (possibly longer if submitted near the deadline).
Please note that a student must have lived in the state of Missouri or an eligible metro Kansas county for 12 months prior to the start of the term to be able to petition.
|Residency Deadline Dates (For petition & all supporting documents)|
|Summer Semester||May 1st|
|Fall Semester||Aug 1st|
|Spring Semester||Dec 1st|
Petitions received after the above deadline dates will be reviewed for the following term.
Residency Rules and Requirements
Options for Students Not Eligible for Missouri Residency Status
The Metro Rate:
- Kansas Residents - Residents of Atchison, Douglas, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Leavenworth, Miami, Osage, Shawnee and Wyandotte counties may be eligible for the Metro Rate Program.
- Visit the Metro Rate page to find out more.
The Midwest Student Exchange Program:
- If you are a resident of the states of Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota or Wisconsin, you may be eligible for the Midwest Student Exchange Program.
- For more information about the Midwest Student Exchange Program, please visit the Midwestern Higher Education Commission page.
Take A Part-Time Class Load (Credit Hours<6):
- Nonresident students who take a part-time credit load may be eligible to receive a tuition scholarship to offset the non-resident portion of their educational fees.
- Visit the Fee Waivers and Tuition Discounts page on the Cashier's Office website to learn more about the part time non-resident fee waiver.
Other Financial Aid
- There are also several scholarships and other types of aid that offset the cost of paying out of state tuition that you may be eligible for.
- Contact the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office for more information.
Hearing or speech impaired individuals may contact Relay Missouri at (800) 735-2966 (TT) or (800) 735-2466 (Voice).