Looking for some extra motivation with your workouts? Try our Challenge Programs.
Benefits of lifting weights:
~ Increase physical strength
Student Fitness Challenge
Feb. 14–March 22, 2012
Commit to exercising with the aerobics team twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 10:00 am - 11:00 am for six weeks, complete a Bod Pod assessment at the beginning and end of the program, and pledge to exercise 30 minutes on at least 1 other day during the week.
Upon successful completion of the program, UMKC students will get a full refund for the $30 program fee.
Contact the SRC Membership Office at 816-235-2712 to register.
Must register by Monday, Feb. 13, 2012 .
~ 11 million college students use recreational facilities
Iron Roo Team Triathlon
April 9-20, 2012
Kick off spring by competing in the Swinney Recreation Center IronRoo Team Triathlon. Teams of three people (minimum of one student per team) will work to complete an Ironman distance triathlon in two weeks. The triathlon includes:
- 2.4-mile swim
- 112-mile bike
- 26.2-mile run
Register by April 6, 2012 at 5 p.m., in the Swinney Recreation Center membership office.
Cost per person: $5
~ Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it. —Oprah Winfrey
Employee Team Challenge
Everybody. Everyday. It’s time to get moving!
The Employee Team Challenge is a 6-week fitness and wellness challenge for UMKC Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management employees sponsored by Swinney Recreation Center. All participants must be members of Swinney. The goal is to introduce a healthier lifestyle and increased physical activity through friendly competition. Here’s the details:
- Six-week challenge (Jan. 24, 2011 to March 4, 2011).
- Registration ends Jan. 21, 2011. Participants must get weigh in/body fat that week prior to start of the challenge
- Teams comprised of four people (department teams)
- Body fat calculated with the handheld device—taken weekly during the challenge and at the beginning and end of the six weeks.
- Team members must turn in activity logs weekly
- Receive weekly emails with fitness/wellness tips and motivation
- Organized fitness sessions (walking group, strength training assistance)
- 1st place (team with greatest combined percent body fat lost)—free 90 day Swinney membership
- 2nd place—free multi-pass for monthly aerobics session
- T-shirts for various contests throughout the challenge
For questions, more information, or assistance in getting your team together, please contact Alison Kramer at 816-235-5425.