Looking for some extra motivation with your workouts? Try our Challenge Programs.
Benefits of lifting weights:
~ Increase physical strength
Student Fitness Challenge
Commit to exercising with the aerobics team twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 10:00 am - 11:00 am for six weeks, complete a Bod Pod assessment at the beginning and end of the program, and pledge to exercise 30 minutes on at least 1 other day during the week.
Upon successful completion of the program, UMKC students will get a full refund for the $30 program fee.
Contact the SRC Membership Office at 816-235-2712 to register.
Must register before challenge program begins
~ 11 million college students use recreational facilities
Iron Roo Team Triathlon
Kick off spring by competing in the Swinney Recreation Center IronRoo Team Triathlon. Teams of three people (minimum of one student per team) will work to complete an Ironman distance triathlon in two weeks. The triathlon includes:
- 2.4-mile swim
- 112-mile bike
- 26.2-mile run
Register before challenge program begins.
Cost per person: $5
~ Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it. —Oprah Winfrey
Employee Team Challenge
Everybody. Everyday. It’s time to get moving!
The Employee Team Challenge is a 6-week fitness and wellness challenge for UMKC Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management employees sponsored by Swinney Recreation Center. All participants must be members of Swinney. The goal is to introduce a healthier lifestyle and increased physical activity through friendly competition. Here’s the details:
- Six-week challenge
- Participants must register and have weigh in/body fat recorded the week prior to start of the challenge
- Teams comprised of four people (department teams)
- Body fat calculated with the handheld device—taken weekly during the challenge and at the beginning and end of the six weeks.
- Team members must turn in weekly activity logs
- Receive weekly emails with fitness/wellness tips and motivation
- Organized fitness sessions (walking group, strength training assistance)
- 1st place (team with greatest combined percent body fat lost) - Free 90 day Membership at Swinney Recreation Center
- 2nd place - Free pass for one 7-week aerobics session
- T-shirts for various contests throughout the challenge
For questions, more information, or assistance in getting your team together, please contact Shannon Hutsler at 816-235-5425.