Seasonal Influenza Resource
Dear UMKC Students, Faculty and Staff:
The seasonal influenza (flu) vaccine is now available at Student Health and Wellness located in Room 115 at 4825 Troost. Please call or make an on-line appointment to get your flu shot. The Flu shot is available to students and to faculty/staff.
Please call UMKC Student Health with any questions (816-235-6133).
UMKC Student Health and Wellness
Is it a Cold or the Flu?
|Signs & Symptoms||Cold||Flu|
|Fever, chills||Low fever, if any||Usual, can be a high fever|
|General aches & pains||Mild, if any||Usual, often severe
Affects the whole body
|Fatigue, weakness||Mild, if any||Usual, often severe|
|Runny, stuffy nose||Common||Sometimes|
|Cough||Mild to moderate hacking cough||Common. Can become severe|
- Stay away from sick people.
- Wash hands often with warm water and soap.
- Get the seasonal flu vaccine to decrease your chances of getting the flu.
- Protect your immune system by eating a healthy and balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Get plenty of sleep - between six and eight hours per night.
- Discontinue smoking - it weakens your lungs and increases your chances of respiratory infections.
What do I do if I think I have the flu?
- Call UMKC Student Health & Wellness for an appointment.
- Stay away from people (self-isolate) until you are 24 hours fever-free (without the use of fever reducing medicine) or seven days after onset, whichever is shorter.
- Call a friend to bring you food or medicine as needed.
- Treat fever, pain and headache with: Ibuprofen 200 to 400 mg every 4 to 6 hours as needed - up to 1200 mg per day or acetaminophen 325 to 650 mg every 4 to 6 hours as needed - up to 3000mg.
- Drink 8 to 16 oz of water, juice, broth, etc., each hour while awake.
- Take your temperature every few hours to monitor your fever.
Alternative locations for seasonal flu vaccinations
H1N1 Information Line
877-358-4141 24 hours a day
Walgreens Take Care Clinic
3845 Broadway St., Kansas City, MO
Kansas City Health Department
2400 Troost, Kansas City, MO
241 E. Linwood Blvd., Kansas City, MO
Note: The above locations are provided as a community service and are not endorsed by UMKC Student Health and Wellness.