The University of Missouri-Kansas City offers Aetna Student Health Insurance. The policy can be purchased annually or by semester.
This plan is optional for domestic students and students on visas other than F-1 and J-1. For International Students on F-1 and J-1 visas, coverage is mandatory (unless eligible for a waiver) and automatic upon academic enrollment.
To view or download the current Domestic Plan Highlights, click here.
To view or download the current International Plan Highlights, click here.
UMKC offers this plan because we believe that all students should have health insurance coverage.
Note: All UMKC students are eligible to use Student Health and Wellness regardless of their insurance status. When necessary, Student Health can refer students to a specialist in their insurance network.
For information regarding this plan, visit the Aetna Student Health Website. Domestic students may enroll on-line or by phone. Students already enrolled may access their account from the Aetna Student Health Navigator.
All International students are insured. The cashier's office charges the fee to your student account every semester. It may take awhile to get your insurance card. The health insurance is through Aetna Student Health.
It is extremely important to always carry your insurance card with you. You will be asked to present it at an office visit, pharmacy, emergency room, or hospital before you receive care.
You do NOT need to be insured to be seen at Student Health & Wellness. As long as you are currently enrolled, there is no charge to be seen. However, your insurance may cover charges incurred at Student Health.
- Deductable - A deductible is the specific
amount of Covered Medical Expenses that must be incurred and paid
for by the Covered Person before benefits are payable under the
Plan. Deductible amounts are the responsibility of the Covered
- Co-Insurance - The percentage of Covered Medical
Expenses payable by Aetna under the Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Referrals - If you are seen at UMKC Student Health
& Wellness and need specialist care or other care, you will receive a referral to a specialist. You can
see a specialist without a referral, but the deductible amount will
- Preferred Provider - A health care provider who is in the Aetna Network (also called in-network). If you are referred through Student Health, you will receive a list of Aetna preferred providers. You can also find this list of providers in the Aetna network in "DocFind" on the Aetna website. The co-insurance is higher with an out-of-network or non-preferred provider.
How do I use the Aetna Student Health Plan outside of Student Health & Wellness (other provider or referral)?
- Take your insurance card with you to the office visit.
- The office will bill Aetna for your charges.
- You will receive a letter from Aetna stating what they paid (Explanation of Benefits) and what your costs are. Aetna will pay the office directly.
- You will receive a second bill from the Provider office for the deductible or co-pay (fees not paid by insurance), you must pay this bill. Some offices will ask that you pay the co-pay at the time of service.