Save to foursquare

Follow Us

Share Us

Primary Health Care

The Mission of Student Health is to provide quality health care and health promotion that maximizes student learning potential.

Acute Symptoms or Illnesses

The providers at Student Health and Wellness assess acute symptoms or illnesses and provide treatments or referrals as appropriate. Common acute complaints that can be assessed and/or treated in the clinic include:

  • Abdominal discomfort or pain
  • Allergies
  • Elevated temperature (fever)
  • Indigestion
  • Muscle sprains and strains
  • Skin rashes and lesions
  • Upper respiratory infections, coughs, colds, sore throats
  • Urinary tract symptoms/infections
  • Vaginal discharge/infections
  • Other physical complaints that requires further assessment

Chronic Illnesses

The providers at Student Health and Wellness assess chronic Illnesses and provide treatments or referrals as appropriate. Common complaints that can be assessed and/or treated in the clinic include:

  • Anemia
  • Asthma
  • Diabetes
  • Hypertension
  • Other illnesses requiring monitoring or further evaluation


Student Health and Wellness would like to inform you of the recommended immunizations for college students.

These immunizations build on the primary immunization series received in childhood. Each health care program (Nursing, Medical School, Dental, etc.) may require specific immunizations.  Check with the appropriate health care program for additional requirements.

The following immunizations are available at Student Health and Wellness.  Current costs for each immunization is listed on our Fees page. If students need an immunization not listed, inquire at the clinic as to whether it can be ordered.

The American College Health Association has provided immunization recommendations for college students. To access recommendations click here.

Hepatitis A

Series of two injections are needed for lasting protection and the doses should be given at least six months apart.

  • Available to anyone exposed to unsafe food or water and for those who may be traveling to areas at risk for Hepatitis A.
  • Encouraged to gay and bisexual men by CDC and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).

Hepatitis B

Series of three shots: First dose as a newborn, second doses one month later, third dose five months later. Missing a dose does not require starting over.

HPV (Human Papillomavirus)

UMKC Student Health and Wellness offers Gardasil, for female and male students, and Cervarix for female students only. If you are unable to pay for the vaccine, both manufacturers offer a patient assistance program.

Gardasil (Merck) Patient Assistance Program

  • To find out the eligibility requirements and print form click here.
  • Complete Section 1, and bring the form and all required documentation to Student Health and Wellness. Your healthcare provider will complete Section 2 of the form.

Cervarix (GKS) Patient Assistance Program

  • To find out the eligibility requirements click here.
  • Please print the form, complete Section 1 and 2, and bring the form and all required documentation to Student Health and Wellness. Your healthcare provider will complete Section 3 and 4 of the form. To access the form, click here.


Annual vaccination begins in early fall.


Recommended for all college students, particularly those living in residence halls; one dose.

Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)

Two doses for all college students born after 1956. (Now given at 12-15 months and prior to entering school.)

Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap)

Usually given as a series to infants with a booster of Tdap at age 11-12.

Tetanus, and Diphtheria, (Td)

Usually given as a booster every 10 years after 1 dose of Tdap.


Available for students traveling to areas at risk for Typhoid fever. There are two forms of Typhoid immunization; injection given two weeks before travel or a pill that must be started at least two and a half weeks before travel.

Varicella (chicken pox)

Recommended for all college students without a documented history of chicken pox infection or immunization or negative antibody titer. Two doses one month apart.

For a complete list of the Vaccine Information Statements (VIS) visit the Center for Disease Control (CDC) Vaccine Information Statements webpage. Many of the VIS are offered as an audio file and in multiple languages.

Antibody Titers may also be drawn for Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hep A and B, and Varicella to indicate whether immunity exists.

Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) Testing

Student Health and Wellness offers testing and treatment for a variety of STI's.

Additional Primary Health Care Services:

  • Allergy shots
  • Blood pressure checks
  • Education on health issues and diseases
  • First aid (non-emergency)
  • Immunizations
  • Physical examinations


Who Provides Services In Student Health and Wellness?

Our office is staffed by nurse practitioners, registered nurses, a health educator, an administrative assistant and a secretary. All are fully trained for their positions. A collaborating physician is in the office weekly. Physician services are available by referral from the nurse practitioners. Student Health and Wellness can manage most health problems that are typical for a primary care clinic.

Do You Do PAP Smears and/or Female GYN Exams?

Yes. We provide this service by appointment.

Can A Nurse Practitioner Prescribe Medications and Where Can I Get The Prescription Filled?

Yes. A nurse practitioner can prescribe medication as appropriate. Students can have their prescriptions filled at any retail pharmacy.

Can I Receive Immunizations In Student Health and Wellness?

Yes. The immunizations available are Hepatitis A and B, Human Papilloma Virus, Meningitis, MMR, Tetanus (Tdap), Varicella (chicken pox), Influenza, Td, and Typhoid. Tuberculosis testing is also available. Call for further information or check the fees page. Other immunizations may be available by request.

Can I Get A Prescription For Birth Control or Receive a Depo Injection At The Clinic?

Yes. Student Health and Wellness providers do write prescriptions for birth control and Depo Provera. You must make an appointment with a nurse practitioner.

Is There A Charge To Be Seen At Student Health and Wellness?

No, there is no charge for the visit. There may be charges for laboratory testing or certain procedures.

How Can I Pay My Bill If I Have One?

You can pay by cash, check or charge the fee to your student account (credit card payment is not available). Any bills charged to the student's UMKC account will need to be paid in the Cashiers Office. The Health Center cannot accept the payment.

Do I Need Insurance For Student Health and Wellness?

No. You do not need insurance to be seen at Student Health and Wellness and Student Health and Wellness does not bill insurance plans. We will be glad to provide you with an itemized check out sheet that you can use for insurance reimbursement.

What Hours Are You Open?

For hours of operation please click here.

Do I Need To Make An Appointment?

Yes. We see patients on an appointment only basis. You may make an appointment by using your UMKC SSO to access our secure Open Communicator portal. You may also call (816) 235-6133 to make an appointment.

Are You Open During Lunch?

No. We are closed over the lunch hour, 12:30-1:30 p.m., and do not see patients during this time.

Do You See UMKC Staff or Family Members of Students In The Clinic?

No. Student Health and Wellness services are limited to UMKC students with the exceptions of immunizations and flu shots.

Do You Provide Emergency Care In The Clinic?

No. We do not provide emergency care. If you feel you have an emergency please go to the emergency room or an urgent care clinic. As always, dialing 911 in the event of a medical emergency will bring you immediate help. St. Luke’s Hospital at 43rd and Wornall is the closest ER to UMKC.

How Do I Obtain Information About Student Health and Wellness Insurance?

Students who take classes on campus (not through the internet) and their dependents are eligible to apply for the Student Health Insurance Plan. You may pick up a Student Health Insurance Plan brochure at UMKC Student Health and Wellness, located at 4825 Troost Suite 115. You may also pick up a brochure at the Cashiers office or in the brochure rack outside the Student Life office. For more information, e-mail Student Health and Wellness your name and address and we will send you a brochure. You may also obtain a brochure by contacting:

Aetna Student Health and Wellness
200 Rivers Edge Drive
Medford, MA 02155
Customer service: 877-480-4161
Phone: 781-219-9100
Fax: 860-907-4650
Aetna Student Health and Wellness Plan website