Know Where To Go
Know ahead of time where you are supposed to go in the event of a severe weather emergency. Look for the map posted in your building for designated severe weather safety areas or contact your Building Liaison for more information. Click here for a list of UMKC Building Liaisons for the Volker and Hospital Hill Campuses.
- If indoors, go to your building's pre-designated safety spot, ideally the basement or interior hallway on a lower floor.
- In a basement stay under the center support beam, a stairwell or heavy piece of furniture for protection from falling debris. Stay out of corners; debris often collects in corners.
- If you have no area below ground level, use a hallway, closing doors off to outside rooms. A small interior room (bathroom or closet) away from outside walls and windows would be preferable to large rooms or rooms with outside walls.
- Avoid auditoriums, gymnasiums or other areas having a wide, free-span roof. Take cover under heavy furniture.
- Put as many walls between you and the outside as you can.
- Avoid windows and glass.
- If outdoors, lie flat in the nearest depression, such as a ditch or ravine. If time allows, move away from the path of the tornado at a right angle.
During a flood watch, if indoors:
- Turn on battery-operated radio for latest emergency information.
- Move valuable items to high places, if possible.
- Unplug electrical appliances.
- Follow instructions of authorities.
- Move to higher ground and stay there.
- Avoid walking through floodwaters.
- If in a car, do not attempt to drive through floodwaters. If your car stalls, abandon it immediately and move to higher ground.
During an evacuation:
- If advised to evacuate, do so immediately to avoid flooded roads, being sure to follow recommended evacuation routes.
- Listen to radio or authorities for evacuation instructions.