One of the more curious sites on campus is the former site
of the University Playhouse.
The original University Playhouse structure was a surplus Army Barracks Theatre building, one of five such Army surplus buildings (then) that UKC purchased after WW II and had erected on campus in 1948.
By the late 1970’s the building was not only inadequate for the University’s needs, it was rapidly deteriorating. By 1977 construction was underway on the new Performing Arts Center. The Kansas City Fire Marshall condemned the Playhouse structure due to fire code violations but UMKC petitioned for and received a waiver to continue using the structure until the Performing Arts Center could be completed in 1978.Once the new Performing Arts Center was completed and opened the old University Playhouse building was torn down. The Playhouse is now the venue for several popular outdoor events such as Greek Week and APC's Foam Dance.