Greater Kansas City Section, National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW) Records (KC0145)
Jewish Community Archives (JCA)
The Greater Kansas City Section was founded in August of 1893 after Mrs. Lieberman, the Section's first president, had received a letter from Mrs. Hannah G. Solomon, founder of the parent organization, encouraging the establishment of a local section. Together with Mrs. Lieberman there were seventeen charter members. The organization was and remains "dedicated in the spirit of Judaism to advancing human welfare and the democratic way of life." By providing a coordinated program of education, services, advocacy and social action, the NCJW attempts to achieve this goal and to fulfill unmet needs within the Jewish and the general communities. It aims to unite Jewish women interested in the works of religion, philanthropy, education and social reform.
The records are divided three groups relating to the local section, the district office and the national organization. The Kansas City Section group is arranged into series: Administrative: contains correspondence, speeches, notes, minutes, bylaws and policies, board committee materials, annual reports and committee annual reports; Financial records: including budgets, audits, and other accounting documents; Membership records; Publications: containing the section newsletters, the yearbooks or membership rosters and a series of notices, announcements and other ephemera which the Section distributed; Committee materials: including planning notes, correspondence and associated materials relating to the conduct of the various committees and projects of the Section; Clippings: from newspapers, magazines and newsletters related to the activities of the Section and its members; Photographs: of Section activities and members; and, Scrapbooks: containing clippings, photographs, memorabilia and other documents related to the activities of the Section, it's committees and members. The materials from the Central District office and the National office of the organization includes newsletters, bylaws and policy statements, and various publications. 1893-1985.
225 folders and 12 volumes (MICROFORM).
© State Historical Society of Missouri
Monday, February 07, 2011
State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu