Fort Osage Restoration Records (KC0155)
Native Sons Archives (NSA)
Fort Osage, the most westerly and successful of the 28 such posts, operated under the United States factory system to regulate the rapidly growing fur trade, discourage British traders from the North and Spanish merchants from the South, and to provide protection for the new western settlements from the Osage and other tribes of the area. Constructed in 1808, the trading house continued in operation until 1822, when the United States factory system was abandoned under pressure from the fur companies. The Fort's structure remained, but was eventually dismantled by local residents after the 1825 Osage treaty granted the remaining Osage lands to the state of Missouri.
In 1941, the Jackson County Court, with the support and cooperation of the Native Sons of Kansas City and other local organizations, undertook to locate and reconstruct the Fort. James Anderson, historian for the Native Sons, and George Fuller Green, architect for the construction, lead an extensive research into the history of the Fort. They gathered information from throughout the country to aid in an accurate rebuilding of the structure. This effort culminated in the dedication of Blockhouse No. 1 in September of 1948. The Factory Building and the remaining four blockhouses, officer's quarters, soldier's barracks, and surrounding log stockade were completed in the 1950s and 1960s.
The records contain administrative correspondence relating to the reconstruction of Fort Osage by the Jackson County Parks and Recreation and the Native Sons. Also in the records is research correspondence soliciting information on the history of the Fort; reconstruction techniques; and research on authentic artifacts, furniture, costumes and artillery. Two scrapbooks contain clippings, photographs, and other memorabilia recording the history of the Fort site and restoration. Four rolls of architectural drawings document the reconstruction project.. 1808-1879.
18 folders; 2 volumes; 4 rolls of drawings (MICROFORM).
© State Historical Society of Missouri
updated: Monday, February 07, 2011
State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu