Missouri Association of Architects Records (KC0099)
In 1940, a group of architects from throughout the state met in Columbia, Missouri, to discuss the formation of the Missouri Association of Architects. The organization proposed to stimulate and encourage improvements within the architectural professions, to promote co-operation among architects, encourage participation in projects benefiting the public welfare, and to represent and speak for the architects of the state of Missouri. One of the immediate goals of the organization was the pursuit of state legislation for the registration of the professional architects and engineers, a goal which had been undertaken unsuccessfully several times.
World War II postponed the effort until 1945 when the architects determined to regroup. Former state senator A.L. McCawley was contracted to serve as lobbyist representing the architects and engineers, and in 1946, a registration law was passed and a new organization, the Missouri Association of Registered Architects and Engineers, was formed.
Afterward, the Association attempted to secure improvements in the new law, but achieved only limited success. Difficulties in getting busy architects to attend state-wide meetings and to commit to the cause of the organization lead a number of the original group to seek a more comprehensive organizational structure in 1952. This reorganization resulted in a new charter and by-laws under the name of the Missouri State Association of Registered Architects.
Concurrent to this action was a movement to establish a National Association of Registered Architects to lobby for registration legislation on the national level. This group was incorporated in Missouri in 1953. However, the national association, receiving little financial support and unable to hire a full-time staff, disbanded after four years.
In later years the Missouri State Association of Registered Architects became affiliated with the National American Institute of Architects. Its name was changed to the Missouri Council of Architects and an office with paid staff was established in Jefferson City, Missouri. This organization is still in existence.
The collection contains the miscellaneous correspondence of J. Carl Jourdon, a member and vice-president of M.A.A. It also contains meeting records, by-laws, and publications of the M.A.A., as well as those of the American Institute of Architects. Also included is a good deal of information concerning the attempt by M.A.A. to develop and adopt a plan for statewide unification between the years 1944 and 1948. The addition contains a brief history of the Missouri Council of Architects and its predecessor organizations and the establishment of a registration law for the architectural professions in Missouri. This document was written by Harold A. Casey, a charter member and past president of the organization. Also included are photostatic copies of the papers of incorporation in the state of Missouri for the Missouri State Association of Registered Architects (1952) and the National Association of Registered Architects (1953), and Volume 2 no.1 (January 1954), of the Missouri Architect, the official journal of the Missouri State Association of Registered Architects. 1944 - 1948; 1952 - 1984.
© State Historical Society of Missouri
Monday, February 07, 2011
State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu