Eric Douglas Macwilliam Remington (1893-1975) Papers (KC0101)
E.D.M. Remington was born in Belton, Missouri. He moved to Brookfield, Missouri, in 1894, and came to Kansas City around 1901. He went to school in Kansas City and St. Louis and was student at Washington University and the University of Illinois where he received the Scarab Prize (a national architectural award). He served in the U.S. Army Intelligence Corps during World War I, after which he completed his studies at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. He returned to Kansas City where he practiced until 1932 when he moved to San Francisco where he was the architect for the Goheen Construction company. There he also did design details for the Episcopal Cathedral, the flight shed of the San Francisco Zoo, and the Argentina building for the San Francisco World Fair in 1939.
During Remington's Kansas City period, he specialized in county houses. His work included the Lowry house in Indian Lane, the Gates farm in eastern Jackson County, and the remodeling of a house for James Kemper, Sr., which has since been torn down. He also did the Johnson house in Independence, Kansas. Part of this time he practiced with Mary Rockwell Hook.
Before moving to San Francisco, Remington visited Stockholm, Sweden, where he became so interested in the concert house there that he did measured drawings in the office of the architect, Ivar Tengbom. Remington intended to publish a monograph on this building, however, the economic depression discouraged his plan. Upon his retirement in 1959, he and Mrs. Remington returned to Kansas City where he died.
The papers are in three parts: exterior and interior photographs of residence designed by Remington; notes and drawings done by Remington pertaining to the concert house in Stockholm, Sweden; and concept studies drawn by George Home MacKenzie, the brother of Mrs. Remington. MacKenzie had no formal training as an architect but took pleasure in architectural conceptions during his long illness prior to his death. ca. 1920-ca. 1950.
8 folders and 98 oversize items.
© State Historical Society of Missouri
Monday, February 07, 2011
State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu