Liberty Ladies College Records (KC0128)
Determining a need in the West for a well equipped college for women, the citizens of Liberty, Missouri, under the leadership of Mr. J.J. Stogdale, collected $15,000 in donations and sold $20,000 in bonds in order to establish and construct the Liberty Female College. In May 1890, the cornerstone for the college was laid at the end of Franklin Street, west of town. The brick building was completed, at a cost of $44,000, in September of that year and contained all the modern conveniences of the day–steam heat, incandescent lighting, and bathrooms with hot and cold water.
The mission of the college was to, “enlarge, develop, perfect the intellect, and inspire to noble lives”. Reverend Flournoy Menefee served as the school’s first president and Miss Ida Hayes, as its Lady Principal. The college provided four years preparatory and four years collegiate work with A.B., B.S., and B.L. degrees given in Classical, Scientific, and Literary studies. Diplomas were granted in Instrumental Music, Vocal Music, Art, and Elocution.
In 1895, Charles M. Williams purchased the college and with his wife, Ella T. Ownes Williams, the name of the institution was changed to the Liberty Ladies College in 1898. The Williams operated the school until 1910, when the facility was leased and then sold to Mr. H.H. Savage in 1912. On February 23, 1913, the college burned. Although there was some discussion about rebuilding the structure, this was not done and in 1921, the site was selected as the location for the new Liberty High School.
Contained within the records is a grade book for part of the academic years 1905-1906 and 1906-1907. These volumes list each student’s name and the grade she received for each of her subjects. Also included is a small amount of correspondence from and to Charles M. Williams concerning the academic standing of specific students. The records also contain a record book and miscellaneous receipts and other items kept by Mrs. Williams for the years 1909 and 1910. 1905-1910.
© State Historical Society of Missouri
Monday, February 07, 2011
State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu