Hughes/Simmons Drug Store Records (KC0133)
Daniel Hughes, Jr., had worked for S.W. Warren in his drug store in Liberty, Missouri, beginning in 1865 and became a partner in 1870. In 1872, Hughes purchased the business. He carried, "a large and well selected stock of goods in his line...," and the business prospered. In 1877, Hughes remodeled his old building into the Italianate style it has today. Joseph C. Simmons bought the store from Hughes in 1887 and operated it until his death 58 years later. Hughes continued to live in Liberty, Missouri, and became one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Liberty, Missouri, and also one of the founders of the Physicians and Surgeons Supply Company of Kansas City, Missouri.
Over the years Simmons hired several men to work at the store. Clarence Ferril was employed at various times from as early as 1916. When Joseph Simmons died in 1945, his estate sold the drug store to Dr. William H. Goodson, Sr., who had maintained an office in the building since 1907. Goodson hired Ferril as the druggist and continued the company until his own death in an automobile accident in 1963. Clarence Ferril retired the following year. Dr. Goodson's heirs sold the building and its contents to the Clay County Museum Association which operates a museum in the building dedicated to the history of the county, displaying artifacts, including items from the drug store which occupied the structure for over 100 years.
The collection contains the financial records of the drug store divided into five record groups: daybooks (1880-1941), journals (1872-1919), want books ca. 1917?), an inventory book (1880), and a poison register (1881-1954). Also included are invoices for goods purchased by the store. One interesting aspect of the invoices is the large number of late nineteenth and early twentieth century illustrated letterheads with engraved and lithographic representations of buildings and goods of the firms. 1872-1954.
87 volumes and 238 folders (MICROFORM)
© State Historical Society of Missouri
updated: Monday, February 07, 2011
State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu