Amanda Elizabeth Evans Rivard (1899-1988) Papers (KC0149)
Amanda Elizabeth Evans, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Evans, was born in Kansas City but moved to Lawrence, Kansas at an early age. As a child she developed an interest in designing houses and, when she entered the University of Kansas, wanted to study architecture. Her initial course of studies, however, was general studies. Only after completing a short course in drafting during World War I, and summer employment with the drafting department of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad at Parsons, Kansas, did she actually take up architectural study.
After completing her work at Parsons, she returned to the University of Kansas. She then approached the Architecture Department to commence her studies and was admitted to the department as the first woman student. Despite the difficulties associated with being the first female in a traditionally male field, Ms. Evans persevered and was graduated in 1922. While a student, Ms. Evans distinguished herself in the Beaux-Arts competitions. Using her initials to mask her gender, Evans entered Beaux-Arts competitions while in the Architecture Department and earned several Mentions, First Mentions, and a First Mention Placed.
Because home design was always closest to her heart, Evans accepted the position of architect for the Falkenberg Brothers Company in Kansas City, Missouri, after she was graduated from the University of Kansas. In the course of her ten-year career (1923-1933) with Falkenberg, she designed about 200 homes. She retired from the profession in 1933 to raise her family.
She married Melvin Rivard, a Kansas City businessman, in 1930 and lived in Fairway, Kansas, where she died in February of 1988.
These papers consist of a scrapbook, including photographs of homes Mrs. Rivard designed and newspaper clippings related to her career; a folder of newspaper and magazine articles featuring Mrs. Rivard and/or her work; and a folder of letters of recommendation and one of photographs of homes she designed. 1918-1983.
© State Historical Society of Missouri
Monday, February 07, 2011
State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu