Northside Telephone Company Records (KC0157)
The Northside Telephone Company was founded in 1903 by a small group of men connected with Park College at Parkville, Missouri. George M. Johnston, a business man of The Village, became the company's first president. The Village, with about 600 residents, was supplied with phones first, and the next year expansion began in rural areas. The first directory was published in May 1904 with 113 subscribers. Negotiations with Bell Telephone Company in 1906 provided toll service to Kansas City, Missouri at the rate of 15 cents within a 15 mile distance, but was later reduced to ten cents. A turning point come in 1911 for the company when rates were increased, the first cable was ordered, more office space was added, Dr. A.L. Wolfe replaced Johnston as president, and other major changes were made. Employees came and went during these years with the exceptions of Mr. Aker, who started as a librarian and was later made president; and Homer Hon, who was a lineman and construction man for about 35 years. Southwestern Bell officially took over January 1, 1954, when the company was 50 years old.
These records contain business documents and correspondence of the Northside Telephone Company. The documents, dating from 1903, are the minutes, Articles of Association and Amendments, bonds and bylaws, annual reports, appraisals, operational costs reports, telephone rates, and governmental ordinances and regulations. There is correspondence to Western Union, Loomis Advertising, Great American Insurance Company, Missouri Telephone Association, and customers of Northside Telephone Company. Also included are maps of the territory, architectural plans, clippings, and two draft articles about the company by Mary B. Aker. 1899-1983.
© State Historical Society of Missouri
updated: Monday, February 07, 2011
State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu