Mount Gilead Church Records (KC0165)
The Mount Gilead Primitive Baptist Church was organized near Kearney, Clay County, Missouri, in 1830. In 1835, the first building for the Mount Gilead Church was erected approximately three miles west of Kearney. By 1841, the church changed its affiliation from Primitive Baptist to Christian Church. In 1844, a brick structure was erected for the Mount Gilead Church which served its congregation through the nineteenth century and for the first thirty years of the twentieth century. The congregation disbanded from 1930 until 1934 when it was revived as a Community Church. Again a period of dormancy occurred from 1937 to 1951. In the latter year, the Church reactivated as a Community Church. In 1983 the Mount Gilead Church, along with the adjacent Mount Gilead School, passed to Clay County with the understanding that it would be preserved and restored as part of the county park system.
These records consists principally of a minute book of the Church for 1854 which includes a single page of expense records for 1861. Also included in the collection are two 1872 deeds for land which became the Mount Gilead Church Cemetery, and a series of news clippings relating the history of the Church, the adjoining school and their eventual transfer to Clay County to become part of the County Parks system. 1853-1872.
See also Mount Gilead School Records (KC0164) for related information.
© State Historical Society of Missouri
Monday, February 07, 2011
State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu