Coates House Management Company Records (KC0197)
The construction of the Coates House (originally called the Broadway Hotel) at the southeast corner of Broadway and Tenth in Kansas City, Missouri, began prior to the Civil War, but the building remained uncompleted until 1868. The hotel, owned and operated by physician, entrepreneur, businessman, and town promoter, Kersey Coates (1823-1887), was remodeled with a new south wing in 1886-1887. The old north wing was reconstructed in 1889-1891 to match the newer south wing. Throughout most of its history, the Coates house has been an important architectural, cultural, and historical landmark. At its peak in the 1880s until the early part of this century, the building served as the finest hotel in the city. The Coates House Management Company formed in December of 1890 with the purpose of operating the Coates House as a hotel. The incorporators and shareholders were Sarah W. Coates (Kersey Coates' widow), Laura Coates Reed, J. Lindley Coates, and Arthur C. Coates (Kersey's children), and Homer Reed, husband of Laura Coates Reed.
The volume includes the Articles of Incorporation (December 31, 1890) for the capital stock company, as well as the minutes of the annual meetings held between March 6, 1891 and April 5, 1900. Also enclosed in the book is an affidavit of publication relating to the announcement of the stockholders meeting on December 30, 1899; and a notice, dated September 14, 1899, from Homer Reed tendering his resignation as president and director of the company. 1890-1900.
© State Historical Society of Missouri
updated: Monday, February 07, 2011
Western Historical Manuscript Collection-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu