Soroptimist International of Kansas City Records (KC253)
Soroptimist International of Kansas City, Missouri was chartered on May 19, 1926, by Stuart Morrow, a professional service club organizer, who established the first Soroptimist Club in Oakland, California, in 1921. Mr. Morrow, while organizing a service club for men, found that women would also be interested in such a group. He incorporated the name "Soroptimist," which is from the Latin words soror meaning sister and optima meaning best. The free translation is "the best for women." With Clubs located throughout the world, Soroptimist members are professional and executive business women. Membership is by invitation only. There can be only one Active and one Associate member for each particular job classification. A Member must be employed and devote at least sixty per cent of her occupational time or income to productive work in her classification. Along with regular business and program meetings, members also take part in various service projects to benefit the community.
Started in 1954 as a separate entity from the Soroptimist International of Kansas City, the Soroptimist Welfare Fund was established as a legal way to handle a substantial amount of money left to the Club, as well as other gifts and legacies that would be tax deductible.
This collection contains correspondence, business and financial papers and newsletters concerning Soroptimist International of Kansas City, Missouri and its members. It also includes magazines and newsletters of the national organization. 1927-1993
477 folders and 9 cubic feet
© WHMC-KC, University of Missouri
updated: Tuesday, November 01, 2005
Western Historical Manuscript Collection-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu