Barstow School Records (KC0277)
In 1884, several prominent Kansas City residents, including August Meyer and William Rockhill Nelson, decided that an independent school was needed in Kansas City. Dr. Henry Martin Hopkins, also part of the initial group and pastor of the First Congregational Church, traveled to Wellesley College and brought to Kansas City Miss Ada Brann and Miss Mary Louise Barstow.
Located on the second floor at 1204 Broadway, the school was called "School for Girls," although a few boys under ten years of age were accepted for classes. Although Miss Brann and Miss Barstow were associate principals, it became known as "Miss Brann's School." Outgrowing its quarters it moved to 13th Street between Washington and Broadway. Miss Brann retired in 1899, moving back East and marrying Frederick O. Darling in 1902. In 1898, the "Day and Home School" moved to 15 Westport Road to a new large, yellow frame building built by some of the school's supporters. The school yearbook, The Weathercock, was started in 1901. Extracurricular activities were encouraged and organized including Field Day, "the Pretenders" dramatic organization, a Glee Club, and Halloween parties. Miss Barstow retired in 1923 to Gardiner, Maine, where she was born. She died there in 1937.
What was now known as Barstow School again changed locations in 1924, to 4950 Cherry thanks to a gift of land from Laura Nelson Kirkwood (who had attended the school), with Rose Adelaide Witham as principal. There was a Main Building, a Gymnasium-Auditorium, a Residence for boarding students, tennis courts and fields for play. In 1959, ground was broken at 115th and State Line Road for new buildings. The Barstow School moved into their new facilities in 1962. Boys were admitted into the freshman class beginning in 1968, progressively moving into the upper classes in the following years.
These papers contain materials concerning Barstow events, activities, and students; financial and business records such as ledgers, enrollment counts, and fundraising efforts; photographs; meeting minutes; and scrapbooks. The scrapbooks may include correspondence; school newspapers; printed and published material such as programs and invitations; photographs; and clippings. ca. 1892-1989.
26 cubic feet, oversize, 35 scrapbooks (MICROFILM).
© WHMC-KC, University of Missouri
Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Western Historical Manuscript Collection-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu