Charles C. Tapp (1885-1981) Papers (KC0017)
Charles Tapp was a descendant from early settlers in Clay County, Missouri. In 1913, he moved to Mosby, Clay County, Missouri where he built and ran the Mosby Depot on the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad line. At various times Tapp operated a general store, the Mosby Post Office, and was a secretary/treasurer of the Mosby State Bank. Tapp also was a partner with Stephen E. Booth in the Mosby Coal Mine (Booth Coal Mine Company) which operated from ca. 1931 to ca. 1953. The mine, near Mosby, was located on the north side of Highway 69, and at one time employed about 130 men. The shafts were as deep as 250 feet and as much as 200 tons of coal were taken out daily. Additionally, Tapp was involved with the Mosby School Districts #8 and #37, and wrote a brief history of the town of Mosby. Charles Tapp married Lizzie McCorkle, whose parents farm was south of Mosby. He and his wife, in their later years, traveled in a trailer around the United States.
Contained within the papers are correspondence, news clippings, land deeds, diaries, notes, and memorabilia of Tapp, his wife Lizzie, and his family. Also included is material about Mosby, Missouri, the Booth Coal Mine Company, and the Clay County School Districts #8 and #37. 1875-1975.
19 folders and 12 volumes.
For additional related information see the Boothe Coal Company Records (KC0098).
© State Historical Society of Missouri
Monday, February 07, 2011
State Historical Society of Missouri Research Center-Kansas City
(816) 235-1543 WHMCKC@umkc.edu