Information Services provides faculty, staff and students with state-of-the-art information technology by offering a wide range of computing, multimedia, telecommunications systems and networking facilities. In support of the University's goal to provide quality instruction, Information Services provides tools to enable learning, discovery, research, service and innovation.
Interim Vice Provost for Information Services: Andy Goodenow
216 Administrative Center
Interim Associate Vice Provost for Information Services: Justin Guggenmos
IS Call Center (816) 235-2000
Campus Operator (816) 235-1000
Campus Information (816) 235-5555
IS Administration (816) 235-1481
Fax: (816) 235-2622
University of Missouri-Kansas City
Administrative Center Room 216
5115 Oak Street
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
(816) 235-2000Foundation Services provides secure, professionally managed data centers to meet the growing information technology (IT) needs of academic and administrative units at UMKC.
Manager: Frank Magrone
- Physical and virtual server hosting and administration
- Backup and restore services
- Storage hosting and administration
- Web and application hosting
- Active Directory infrastructure management
- Tier 2 Exchange and Live Mail support
- Server-hosted application support
- Research and high performance computing
- Systems monitoring
Research ComputingInformation Services offers a number of services related to research computing.
Additional UMKC Resources
- CPUs. Contact Foundation Services (Frank Magrone,firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Storage. Contact Foundation Services (Frank Magrone, email@example.com). UMKC has a number of storage solutions (light, dark, dim) designed to fit different production and archive solutions.
- Linux hosting. Contact Foundation Services (Frank Magrone, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Need access to the UM System computing clusters (Lewis and Clark)
- http://umbc.rnet.missouri.edu/resources/index.html - computing resources, storage resources, software available
- Need assistance with XSEDE, https://www.xsede.org/home, please contact Paul Rulis, email@example.com.
- Searching for custom programming or assistance with submitting data to different systems, please contact Andy Goodenow, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are you applying for a grant and need hardware/software? Contact Frank Magrone, email@example.com or Andy Goodenow, firstname.lastname@example.org and see what options are currently available in the UMKC's data center or management of hardware to free up research time. Investigate buying into UMKC's virtual environment with dedicated CPUs and burst availability for shared CPUs.
Biomedical and Health Informatics - http://www.med.umkc.edu/dbhi/index.shtml
School of Computing and Engineering labs or featured research - http://sce.umkc.edu/research/default.asp
School of Biological Science research facilities - http://sbs.umkc.edu/research.cfm
University of Missouri System research resources -http://www.umkc.edu/intapps/umresearch/
University of Missouri System Funding Resources - http://www.umsystem.edu/ums/aa/fundingopps/funding_programs
Director: Vishal Kurup
Information Access provides standards driven application development & database management at no-cost/highly discounted rates to UMKC constituents.
- Custom application programming
- Portal development
- E-commerce application development
- Online surveys, email campaigns and forms
- Mobile application development for the iOS and Android platforms
- Mobile website development
- Migration and manipulation of data from legacy systems, Peoplesoft Finance, HR and Student.
- Exam and Evaluation scanning and report generation
- Database Administration Services for Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL and Filemaker
Instructional Technology Services (ITS)
Supervisor IT: Lyndsey Magrone
Instructional Technology Services (ITS):
manages and develops online learning and distance education delivery systems. Services include:
ITS will research and test courseware tool solutions for faculty online teaching needs.
- Technical support
- Media conversion for online learning objects
- Course site design consultation
Supported systems include:
- LockDown Browser
- Tegrity (podcasting)
- Campus Pack (blogs, wikis, journals, podcasts, and social media)
Free training to individuals or small groups is provided for all supported systems and applications.
While the use of technology in education is increasing, it can sometimes seem intimidating to implement. Both online and classroom courses are greatly enhanced by the use of visuals and technology plays a vital role in presenting ideas and examples to the learner. Academic Enhancement - a group within ITS - is a valuable resource that is free to UMKC faculty members. Academic Enhancement currently offers a variety of services to facilitate the learning and teaching experience through technology.
Free services provided by Academic Enhancement include:
- Video Production
- Computer Animation
- Audio/Video Conversions
- Supplementation of PowerPoint Presentations
To learn more about how technology can be incorporated into your on-line, and classroom curriculum, contact Academic Enhancement by calling 816.235.1094, or emailing email@example.com. You may also stop by and see us in person at 302a in the Fine Arts Building.
IT Security & Research
Information Security Officer: Justin D. Malyn
The UMKC Information Services Security and Research group is responsible for providing security expertise and resources necessary to protect the University's information assets and technology resources.
- Campus network security device management
- Campus-wide Antivirus management
- Incident management for reported security incidents
- Proactive vulnerability scanning
- Network security policy management
- R&D for computer and security related products
Network Architecture(816) 235-5386
Director: James Schonemann
Network & Architecture support the University's misson by designing, implementing and maintaining the wired, wireless & voice networking systems for all University buildings and offices.
- Campus Telephone Service
- VoIP, Analog & Conference telephones & softphone clients
- Local, Long-Distance, International calling & Toll-free Numbers
- Unified Voicemail
- Contact Center Services (Call Queuing)
- Jabber Instant Messaging service
- WebEx Conferencing Services
- Call Recording
- Campus Network Service
- Building Switches and Routers
- Wireless Access Points
- Internet & Internet2 connectivity
- Research Network connectivity
Operations and Administration
Administrative Manager: Katey Mairs
Operations & Administration processes all Human Resource, Accounting, Procurement, and Payroll functions for all departments in Information Services.
Director: Marilyn ReisenbichlerSupport Services provides numerous technology services for the UMKC campus community. The Call Center (computer helpdesk) is the starting point for technology related questions and problems. Technicians triage customer requests and escalate for assessment and resolution across Information Services and Information Access. Desktop Support provides direct support for approximately 3000 computers and indirect support for many more. Departments supported include most of the administrative and business offices, the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Computing and Engineering, the Conservatory of Music and Dance, the School of Education, and many of the Student Affairs offices. All general-use student computing labs, ILE classroom computers and many of the computers located in departmental labs are supported by Desktop Support. Some academic units hire dedicated technical staff or IT Liaisons who provide desktop support for their department.
Support Services also provides hardware, software, mobile device and cell phone consultation and procurement services. Each year, hundreds of computers are replaced through the Provost' annual workstation replacement program, which supplies the life-cycle funding for many faculty and staff computers. The Lab Management Office within Support Services manages the student staffing and numerous computing labs on the UMKC campus.
Technology Management Services
Leadership: Justin Guggenmos, Interim Associate Vice Provost for Information Services
UMKC's Technology Management Services Division provides a collaborative partnership between UMKC Information Services, IT units from other UM campuses, and UMKC Campus Facilities to deliver first rate IT solutions, teaching environments, and customer service in support of research, teaching and learning, and administration.
The structure of the Technology Management Services Division include:
- IT project management and administrative oversite for all IT projects, new construction projects and major renovation projects that include IT and AV scope.
- Infrastructure Services for the design, installation, and maintenance for all copper and fiber optic cabling across campus. Including underground and aerial pathways.
- Campus technology services for developing, implementing, and maintaining environments that empower teaching and learning for the faculty and students at UMKC.
- Video Services for professional operation, maintenance and user support for distance learning, video conferencing, Hospital Hill teaching spaces and special events at UMKC.
IS Project Management Office
Information Services invests resources in special projects each fiscal year to enhance the quality of our information technology and teaching environments. The UMKC IS Project Management Office (PMO) provides skilled project management and administrative oversight for the most visible and complex projects being run by Information Services. The UMKC IT PMO is committed to following the PMI Global Standard methodology to complete these activities.
Project Services Include:
- Developing & promoted PM standards and processes
- Portfolio, Program, and Project management
- Project initiation and planning assistance
- Stakeholder analysis and communications planning
- Vendor management
- Project budget estimates
- Project resource management
- Project Governance ensuring decisions are made by the right people, based on the right information
- Projection communication and transparency by providing a single source for project information
- Central resources for best practices, templates, tools and lessons learned
- Project delivery support for project teams by providing training, quality assurance, and reducing bureaucracy
- Project documentation and traceability
- Project/product lifecycle planning
Manager: Matthew Brown
Infrastructure Services is responsible for the design, installation, and maintenance for all copper and fiber optic cabling across campus. Including underground and aerial pathways.
- Telephone outlet installation, repair & activation
- Network Data jack installation, repair & activation
- Dedicated on-campus copper circuits
- Dedicated on-campus fiber optics circuits
- Telecommunication cable locating and marking
- Outside cable plant design & installation
- Campus Elevator voice services
- Emergency Phones and voice services
- Fire Alarm voice and data Services
- Security Alarm voice and data Services
Campus Technology Services
Manager: Bruce Waggoner
Campus Technology Services enables academic excellence by developing, implementing, and maintaining environments that empower teaching and learning for the faculty and students at UMKC.
- ILE Classroom installation, maintenance and support
- AV support for Administrative Center Conference Center
- AV systems design, consultation, R&D, and installation
- AV support & maintenance agreements
- Certified AMX and Crestron programming
- AV equipment check-out service
- Digital Signage maintenance and support
- TelePresence systems maintenance and support
- Special event audio visual support
Manager: Ben Zygmunt
Video Services provides professional operation, maintenance and user support for distance learning, video conferencing, Health Sciences classrooms and special events at UMKC.
- Scheduling, operation and technical support for distance education classrooms
- Front line support for Health Sciences classrooms
- Videoconferencing system scheduling ,technical support, and custodianship
- Content/System maintenance for Time Warner and Comcast cable channels KCEN, and KHEN
- Video Production (academic and administrative)
- Video Streaming and Event Coverage (academic and administrative)
- Media Duplication and Transfers (academic and administrative)
- Video/Audio Encoding and Ripping (academic and administrative)