Information Services provides faculty, staff and students with state-of-the-art information technology by offering a wide range of computing, multimedia, telecommunications systems and networking facilities. In support of the University's goal to provide quality instruction, Information Services provides tools to enable learning, discovery, research, service and innovation.
Chief Information Officer: Andy Goodenow
216 Administrative Center
Interim Associate Vice Provost for Information Services: Justin Guggenmos
IS Call Center (816) 235-2000
Campus Operator (816) 235-1000
Campus Information (816) 235-5555
IS Administration (816) 235-1481
Fax: (816) 235-2622
University of Missouri-Kansas City
Administrative Center Room 216
5115 Oak Street
Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
(816) 235-2000Foundation Services provides secure, professionally managed data centers to meet the growing information technology (IT) needs of academic and administrative units at UMKC.
Manager: Frank Magrone
- Physical and virtual server hosting and administration
- Backup and restore services
- Storage hosting and administration
- Web and application hosting
- Active Directory infrastructure management
- Tier 2 Exchange and Live Mail support
- Server-hosted application support
- Research and high performance computing
- Systems monitoring
Research ComputingInformation Services offers a number of services related to research computing.
Additional UMKC Resources
- CPUs. Contact Foundation Services (Frank Magrone,email@example.com).
- Storage. Contact Foundation Services (Frank Magrone, firstname.lastname@example.org). UMKC has a number of storage solutions (light, dark, dim) designed to fit different production and archive solutions.
- Linux hosting. Contact Foundation Services (Frank Magrone, email@example.com).
- Need assistance with XSEDE, https://www.xsede.org/home, please contact Paul Rulis, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Searching for custom programming or assistance with submitting data to different systems, please contact Andy Goodenow, email@example.com
- Are you applying for a grant and need hardware/software? Contact Frank Magrone, firstname.lastname@example.org or Andy Goodenow, email@example.com and see what options are currently available in the UMKC's data center or management of hardware to free up research time. Investigate buying into UMKC's virtual environment with dedicated CPUs and burst availability for shared CPUs.
Biomedical and Health Informatics - http://www.med.umkc.edu/dbhi/index.shtml
School of Computing and Engineering labs or featured research - http://sce.umkc.edu/research/default.asp
School of Biological Science research facilities - http://sbs.umkc.edu/research.cfm
University of Missouri System research resources -http://www.umkc.edu/intapps/umresearch/
University of Missouri System Funding Resources - http://www.umsystem.edu/ums/aa/fundingopps/funding_programs
Interim Associate Director: Nathan Horn
Information Access provides standards driven application development & database management at no-cost/highly discounted rates to UMKC constituents.
- Custom application programming
- Portal development
- E-commerce application development
- Online surveys, email campaigns and forms
- Mobile application development for the iOS and Android platforms
- Mobile website development
- Migration and manipulation of data from legacy systems, Peoplesoft Finance, HR and Student.
- Exam and Evaluation scanning and report generation
- Database Administration Services for Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL and Filemaker
IT Security & Research
Information Security Officer: Justin D. Malyn
The UMKC Information Services Security and Research group is responsible for providing security expertise and resources necessary to protect the University's information assets and technology resources.
- Campus network security device management
- Campus-wide Antivirus management
- Incident management for reported security incidents
- Proactive vulnerability scanning
- Network security policy management
- R&D for computer and security related products
Director: James Schonemann
Network Architecture supports the University's misson by designing, implementing and maintaining the wired, wireless & voice networking systems for all University buildings and offices.
- Campus Telephone Service
- VoIP, Analog & Conference telephones & softphone clients
- Local, Long-Distance, International calling & Toll-free Numbers
- Unified Voicemail
- Contact Center Services (Call Queuing)
- Jabber Instant Messaging service
- Call Recording
- Campus Network Service
- Building Switches and Routers
- Wireless Access Points
- Internet & Internet2 connectivity
- Research Network connectivity
Operations and Administration
Operations & Administration processes all Human Resource, Accounting, Procurement, and Payroll functions for all departments in Information Services.
Director: Stephen Pottebaum
Support Services provides numerous technology services for the UMKC campus community. The Technology Support Center is the starting point for technology related questions and problems. Technicians triage customer requests and work to resolve the technical issue remotely. If necessary, this team will go on-site or escalate to subject matter experts within IS for further assessment and resolution.
Support Services provides direct support for approximately 6000 computers on the UMKC campus. Departments supported include the University’s administrative and business offices, all of the academic units with the exception of the School of Medicine and the School of Dentistry. All general-use student-computing labs, ILE classroom computers and most of the computers located in departmental labs are supported by Support Services. As part of the shared services initiative, many of our technicians have been cross-trained to support multiple locations on campus.
The Enterprise Support team within Support Services provides advanced technical support including management of the Remote Labs, our asset management systems for Windows, Mac and mobile devices. They also manage our standard image development, print servers for the campus, and the setup and configuration for the IT Service Management system.
The IT Procurement team within Support Services provides hardware, software, mobile device and cell phone consultation and procurement services for the campus. We also manage the annual Workstation Replacement Program that provides departments with a subsidy towards the replacement of eligible computers.
The Lab Management Office within Support Services manages the student staffing and numerous computing labs on the UMKC campus.
Technology Management Services
Leadership: Justin Guggenmos, Interim Associate Vice Provost for Information Services
UMKC's Technology Management Services Division provides a collaborative partnership between UMKC Information Services, IT units from other UM campuses, and UMKC Campus Facilities to deliver first rate IT solutions, teaching environments, and customer service in support of research, teaching and learning, and administration.
The structure of the Technology Management Services Division include:
- IT project management and administrative oversite for all IT projects, new construction projects and major renovation projects that include IT and AV scope.
- Infrastructure Services for the design, installation, and maintenance for all copper and fiber optic cabling across campus. Including underground and aerial pathways.
- Campus technology services for developing, implementing, and maintaining environments that empower teaching and learning for the faculty and students at UMKC.
- Video Services for professional operation, maintenance and user support for distance learning, video conferencing, Hospital Hill teaching spaces and special events at UMKC.
IS Project Management Office
Information Services invests resources in special projects each fiscal year to enhance the quality of our information technology and teaching environments. The UMKC IS Project Management Office (PMO) provides skilled project management and administrative oversight for the most visible and complex projects being run by Information Services. The UMKC IT PMO is committed to following the PMI Global Standard methodology to complete these activities.
Project Services Include:
- Developing & promoted PM standards and processes
- Portfolio, Program, and Project management
- Project initiation and planning assistance
- Stakeholder analysis and communications planning
- Vendor management
- Project budget estimates
- Project resource management
- Project Governance ensuring decisions are made by the right people, based on the right information
- Projection communication and transparency by providing a single source for project information
- Central resources for best practices, templates, tools and lessons learned
- Project delivery support for project teams by providing training, quality assurance, and reducing bureaucracy
- Project documentation and traceability
- Project/product lifecycle planning
Manager: Matthew Brown
Infrastructure Services is responsible for the design, installation, and maintenance for all copper and fiber optic cabling across campus. Including underground and aerial pathways.
- Telephone outlet installation, repair & activation
- Network Data jack installation, repair & activation
- Dedicated on-campus copper circuits
- Dedicated on-campus fiber optics circuits
- Telecommunication cable locating and marking
- Outside cable plant design & installation
- Campus Elevator voice services
- Emergency Phones and voice services
- Fire Alarm voice and data Services
- Security Alarm voice and data Services
Campus Technology Services
Associate Director of IT: Thomas Boogher
Campus Technology Services enables academic excellence by developing, implementing, and maintaining environments that empower teaching and learning for the faculty and students at UMKC.
- ILE Classroom installation, maintenance and support
- AV support for Administrative Center Conference Center
- AV systems design, consultation, R&D, and installation
- AV support & maintenance agreements
- Certified AMX and Crestron programming
- AV equipment check-out service
- Digital Signage maintenance and support
- TelePresence systems maintenance and support
- Special event audio visual support
Manager: Ben Zygmunt
Video Services provides professional operation, maintenance and user support for distance learning, video conferencing, Health Sciences classrooms and special events at UMKC.
- Scheduling, operation and technical support for distance education classrooms
- Front line support for Health Sciences classrooms
- Videoconferencing system scheduling ,technical support, and custodianship
- Content/System maintenance for Time Warner and Comcast cable channels KCEN, and KHEN
- Video Production (academic and administrative)
- Video Streaming and Event Coverage (academic and administrative)
- Media Duplication and Transfers (academic and administrative)
- Video/Audio Encoding and Ripping (academic and administrative)