Visiting Student Application Process

If you are pursuing a degree at another college and you want to take a course or two at UMKC and transfer the credits back, this is the application process for you.

As a visiting student, you will enroll as a non-degree seeking student even though you may be in a degree program at another university.

Although you won’t receive financial aid from UMKC as a visiting student, you will have access to academic advising depending on your program.

Completing the application process does not serve as a statement of acceptance or admission to the University of Missouri-Kansas City. If misrepresentations are found, UMKC reserves the right to rescind offers of admission.

1. Contact your academic program

  • Check out our list of undergraduate and graduate programs, then contact your academic program about your next steps. 
  • These programs do not allow visiting students: Dentistry and Pharmacy.
  • If you are interested in the following programs, please contact them to find an advisor who can help determine program eligibility and your next steps.
    • Henry W. Bloch School of Management
      Learn more about visiting students at the Bloch School.

    • Conservatory
      The Conservatory requires an audition for students taking performance classes. For information on continuing education, please contact 816-235-2741,

    • School of Science and Engineering
      SSE Student Services Center
      336 Flarsheim Hall 
      Phone: 816-235-2399

      Learn more about continuing education at the School of Science and Engineering.

    • School of Law
      Students must obtain permission to register in any law classes from the associate dean (Room 200, 816-235-1644) and the registrar of the School of Law (816-235-1688). Learn more about continuing legal education at the School of Law.

    • School of Medicine
      Visiting students may not enroll in medical school courses that lead to the M.D. degree, but may enroll in courses in the Department of Biomedical and Health Informatics.

      Learn more from the School of Medicine Office of Admissions or contact them directly at 816-235-1870 or

2. After talking to your academic program to determine eligibility, complete the UMKC general application.

Submit the UMKC general application for admission for visiting/community students.

UMKC Application

If you are a Missouri resident over 65 years old, you can apply through the Missouri Senior Application. You may also email a PDF of the application to

Application for Missouri Seniors

3. Submit any additional documentation.

  • Students who are permanent residents need to send a copy of the front and back of their Permanent Resident card ("green card").
  • Students who are refugees or are present in the United States based on asylum status need to send a copy of their I-94 that shows either the Refugee or Asylum status stamp.
  • DACA students must submit the I-797 form. 
  • You can send documentation via mail:
    • UMKC Office of Admissions
      Administrative Center
      5115 Oak St., Room 120 
      Kansas City, MO 64112