UMKC Catalog


College of Arts & Sciences Major and Minor Requirements

Students pursuing the bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees must declare a major. The College strongly encourages students to consult faculty advisers and the UMKC Career Services Office counselors for assistance in choosing suitable academic and career goals. To select a major, students must file a "Declaration of Major" form in the Arts and Sciences Advising Office, 9 Scofield Hall. For specific requirements for majors, see the earlier College section on Degree Program (Major) and the appropriate academic department section in the pages to follow.

The undergraduate degree-seeking student in the College must fulfill the requirements for a degree program (major) as specified in the appropriate part of this catalog. The minimum is 26 semester hours.

A minimum of 12 semester hours in the degree program (major) must be earned in the major department at UMKC. A minimum of a C average in the major is required.

The College encourages students to seek advising early in their academic careers regarding choice of a major. Students must file a formal "Declaration of Major" form in the Arts and Sciences Advising Office.

A multiple (double or triple) major may be earned when a student completes two or more full majors, generally within the 120 hours required for a single degree. The specific major requirements of each major must be fulfilled.  The diploma will indicate all majors. If the two or more degree programs are administered by different academic units, the major requirements of each academic program must be fulfilled. The general education requirements must be fulfilled as specified by the department or academic unit responsible for the primary major only. The double or multiple major is only available in B.A./B.A. or B.S./B.S. combinations.

A double degree may be earned when a student completes a minimum of 150 hours, completing the general education and major requirements for each of two majors.  Students who earn a double degree will receive two diplomas simultaneously.  If the two degree programs are administered by different academic units, the general education and major requirements of both academic units must be completed.

In coordination with several of the professional schools, the College of Arts and Sciences students may earn combined degrees. Combined degree programs are offered in dentistry, law and medicine. In the combined degree program, 30 credit hours in the professional schools may count toward the fulfillment of the baccalaureate degree. All degree requirements of the College must be fulfilled. The professional hours are generally considered upper-level elective (blanket) credit. In this manner, the two degrees are earned concurrently and the student's program is accelerated considerably. Students are advised to check with the advising offices of the appropriate schools before making their plans.

Students wishing to earn a second bachelor's degree, whether or not the first was earned at UMKC or another college or university, must complete a minimum of 30 additional hours. Of those 30 additional hours, a minimum of 12 must be taken in the major department. The student must also fulfill any additional general education requirements and major requirements in effect when the student is admitted or readmitted to pursue the second bachelor's degree.
An academic minor may be taken in many departments in the College by students enrolled in a B.A., B.S., or the B.L.A. degree program. The academic minor is optional and must be declared no later than the beginning of the student's senior year.

A minimum of 18 hours is required in the minor area. At least nine of those hours must be upper-division courses. The courses and total number of hours are determined by the department or departments granting the minor. A minimum of nine hours for the minor must be earned at UMKC.

A student interested in a minor should consult a departmental adviser. Minors offered in the College include the following: anthropology; art history; studio art; black studies; chemistry; classical and ancient studies; communication studies; criminal justice and criminology; economics; English writing; English language and literature; environmental studies; family studies; film studies; French; geography; geology; German; gerontology; history; healing and the humanities; Judaic studies; mathematics; philosophy; physics; political science; sociology; Spanish; theater; and women's and gender studies.

Exceptions to academic regulations must be approved by the Academic Standards Committee of the College of Arts and Sciences. To seek exceptions, students must file a "Petition for Exception" form in the Arts and Sciences Advising Office, 9 Scofield Hall.