UMKC Catalog


CAS The Superior Student

The College offers superior students various means to enhance or accelerate their academic programs.


Dual Credit High School/College Program (HSCP)

The College offers advanced students in many Kansas City area high schools the opportunity to earn UMKC credit prior to high school graduation through the High School/College Program. Qualified students may enroll in introductory college courses that meet general requirements for a bachelor's degree.


Credit by Examination

Students may gain credit by any or all of the four methods listed below:

See the  General Undergraduate Academic Regulations and Information section of this catalog for additional information.


Fellowships and Awards

The Center for International Academic Programs (CIAP) assists students who want to apply for major fellowships that support continued undergraduate study and graduate school. The CIAP Web site identifies an extensive list of these fellowships for both national and international study, including, but not limited to the Truman, Goldwater, Udall, Fulbright, Rhodes, Marshall, Jack Kent Cooke, NSEP Boren, and Rotary. These are highly competitive awards that demand careful planning and a commitment of time and effort. All fellowships require applicants to have a high GPA. In addition, typical eligibility criteria include a record of community service, evidence of undergraduate research or original work, strong faculty references, and a commitment to future academic or public service. A number of the fellowships require an on-campus review and nomination before a candidate can move forward to the national competition. Most of these fellowships provide substantial financial support as well as opportunities for travel and specialized seminars with fellow grantees. For additional information please call (816) 235-5759 or visit


Honors Program

Details of the Honors Program can be found in the Honors Program section of the College's portion of this catalog.


Independent Study

The opportunity to undertake independent study is offered by many departments in the College to students who qualify. Generally, the student receives the individual attention of a professor in the chosen field of study and completes a project that may involve any topic considered appropriate by that professor to the academic needs of the student. Typical kinds of independent study include: special reading topics, creative work in the humanities, research projects, performances in the arts or fieldwork experiences.


Undergraduate Research

Undergraduate research opportunities are available in many disciplines within the College. Interested students should speak with faculty members in their major department. When selecting a faculty mentor for undergraduate research, students should consider their own research or creative project ideas, courses they have taken, as well as faculty research interests.